Scaling down partial mash recipes from 5 to 3gal. Any drawbacks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agurkas

Reaction score
I am getting ready for my 2nd and 3rd batch (Saison Dupont clone and Honey Ale). I just don't see consuming and giving away 120 some bottle I will have with three batches.

Any downsides to scaling down recipes to 3 gallon batches using partial mash?

will the yeast still cost you the same? liquid yeast is expensive at the local brew store, about 33% of the cost for my all grain fat tire. if you're brewing less, that will constitute a larger portion of your overall cost ...but if you've been making starters, and you can stop having to make them now, it may be worth the extra relative cost.

I've done this a fair bit and haven't had any problems. As agurkas says, the only real difference is the cost.

And some may call less beer a pretty big draw back.

I've done a bunch of 3 gallon partial mash brews. No drawbacks as far as I am concerned. The idea that the yeast costs the same is offset by the fact that you don't need as much extract. A larger % of you total fermentables comes from grain and you can do a full boil (or closer to it), so in the end I think there are major advantages to this set-up.

Plus, you do not have to drink as much so-so beer if it is not that good.

(Not that ANY of mine have not turned out great.) :rolleyes:

(Ok, maybe one or two.):(

(I'm learning, OK?):eek:

Can't see 120 plus bottles being a bad thing. The beer isn't going to spoil after all. Plus, beers like a saison age really well.

I cannot see me doing 120+ bottle or 11.5 gallon batches yet.

I like doing 24-32 bottle batches. Easier to manage and uses less room. Once I do one I really like, I put it back on the brew schedule. It works for me anyway.

Back