Hi! Newbie from Michigan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Time-Travelers

Reaction score
Just started making wine a couple months ago, now hubby is asking about beer... hoping some of the equipment is the same ;)
I found a 5-gal stock pot on sale for $17.99 that I'm thinking is a good buy?
And it sounds like I should keep my primarys separate from beer and wine and that I'll need two, one with a spigot (?)... I'm thinking I'm going to want to start with a 'kit' and I noticed a couple of the local brew shops sell their own kits? I have no experience with this, any recommendations?
Looking forward to getting started and learning more!

Well the kits are good but if you already have some stuff you might not want to buy a kit. Beer uses the same stuff as wine so you are good there. I say go to your LHB shop with a list of what you have and they will be able to get you the other stuff you need for beer. Where in mi are you? I'm in Warren. I shop at Cap-n-cork.

LOL - I was just there last night! We live in Sterling Heights. I should clairfy a bit, when I said 'kit' I was referring to a recipe kit as opposed to equipment.

Recipe kits are a great way to start. Their own kits might be fresher than say a brewers best kit. I have been doing the brewers best kits and have had no problems with them at all. But I would shy away from any kit that is dust covered. The malt extract in those kits starts degrading with age, so the fresher the kit the better.

I thought of that after I had already posted. A couple of people I know have made some of Cap-N-corks kits and they have liked them. They are really helpful there.

Oh I see you outed yourself to the rest of the miscreants on here. ;)

And glad to see you finally made it. :mug:

(Linda here is a friend from vintage baseball)

Oh by the way we have a subforum on here for the Michigan folks https://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/michigan-mashers/

We're the largest group on here. We manage on occasion to get together for group brews or even to meetup at brewpubs once and awhile.

And next week many of use will be brewing at Cap N Cork together for the Learn to brew day. If you want to brew or even just come by.

Thanks Revvy :)

The event at Cap-N-Cork is on the calendar and appreciate the link too - lol - I don't think I've made it beyond the 'beginners' forum...

What a great resource - looking forward to meeting everyone and learning more :mug:

Got my own Avatar and a new screen name :ban:

My stockpot arrived yesterday so I'm good to go now - planning on getting started later this morning!

Gonna sit in on the KGB meeting tonight at Kuhnhenn's and making my 'wishlist' for Cap-n-Cork on Saturday :mug:

Gonna sit in on the KGB meeting tonight at Kuhnhenn's and making my 'wishlist' for Cap-n-Cork on Saturday :mug:

I do have tonight off for a change...
mmm.gif

Thank you Craig, same to you and your wife - your daughter is absolutly precious! I'm certain our paths will cross again. My English Brown Ale should be ready for sampling come the January meeting :mug:

Okay, so don't confuse me like this Linda/Time Traveller.

So, you coming out to Cap N Cork tomorrow????

HeHeHe - it was actually one of your posts that had the time machine that gave me the idea to resurrect an older email account I use; Time-Travelers (and the time machine another avatar from Geocaching - but that's another story...

Being involved with the 1860's base ball and we have a 1923 Model T... I feel like we do a lot of 'time-traveling' :D

Yes, we'll be at Cap N Cork tomorrow. I'm looking forward to trying some of their kits so I can pick out my next brew! See you there?!

HeHeHe - it was actually one of your posts that had the time machine that gave me the idea to resurrect an older email account I use; Time-Travelers (and the time machine another avatar from Geocaching - but that's another story...

Being involved with the 1860's base ball and we have a 1923 Model T... I feel like we do a lot of 'time-traveling' :D

Yes, we'll be at Cap N Cork tomorrow. I'm looking forward to trying some of their kits so I can pick out my next brew! See you there?!

I'll be there starting to setup about 10 am!

Back