watermelon recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redliner

Reaction score
hey guys I was just wonering if anyone had a good partial mash recipe for watermelon. the extract one I foundon here I wanted to try uses amarillo hops but i can't find them anywhere so figured id ask for a diff recipe rather than sub them out.

I did Dude's B's Honey Wheat (here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/bs-honey-wheat-21227/) and when it was finished, I racked it to a carboy with 2.5 cups of watermelon puree/juice. I used all crystal hops (as that is what I had, and I like them). It was really great. I don't know if that's what you're looking for, though.

Here's the one I did:

4 lbs Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 43.2 %
3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 32.4 %
4.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 2.7 %
1.25 oz Crystal [3.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 12.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Crystal [3.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 5 6.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Crystal [3.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 6 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) [25.00 ml] Yeast 7 -
2 lbs Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 8 21.6 %
2.50 Cup Watermelon Juice (Secondary 10.0 days) Flavor 9 -

To make it a partial mash, use 3 pounds wheat DME and lower the wheat malt and pale malt to 1 pound each.

that sounds really good might give it a try not really looking for a wheat beer but it sounds really good. does it have a strong watermelon flavor or just really sutle hints

Yooper said:
It didn't scream watermelon, but it did have a definite flavor of watermelon.

Yooper,

Do you do anything for sanitation ie do you boil the watermelon juice or add campden to it before adding to the secondary?

El Dorado hops are what you want. They are full of watermelon flavor.

The problem with watermelon juice is that it's not very thick or particularly rich. It's mostly thin in texture and very watery. Therefore, adding a quart or so to the secondary will have some effects on the final beer. I suggest looking for a really good, natural watermelon concentrate and adding maybe a cup or two to the secondary. If you have a low alcohol beer, you'll probably want to hold the watermelon concentrate at about 160F and subsequently cool it down prior to adding for sanitation purposes. I find that freshly juiced prickly pears have a definite watermelon-raspberry flavor, especially when the juice is corrected with a bit of agave, lime juice, and water.

You could simmer the watermelon juice to concentrate it. It will cause pectin haze but if you're doing a wheat style beer it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Back