Homebrew Mobile Apps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jday001

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am an iOS developer during the day, and I am thinking about starting a new homebrew app project on the side. I originally just wanted to find a good iOS app to manage my own homebrews, but nothing really jumps out. Are there any good ones out there that you recommend that I might be missing? I see several on the app store from like $7-15, which is 7-15x more expensive than most people (including myself) are willing to pay for an app these days.

I have actually already started on the shell of a project that just logs my own brews. I'm at a state where I could just use it as-is myself, or try to build it out into something more.

I would really like to find or create something with:
  • a modern, non cheesy UI
  • easy to navigate
  • approachable for new brewers but enough features for the more experienced
  • eventual ability to share/search brew recipes
  • iOS (if I build, can expand to Android if demand is there)

If you have any suggestions for apps that I should check out, or features you would like to see in such an app, I'd love to hear them. I'd like to stay away from desktop brewing software in favor of something portable. If I end up buliding, I'd be happy to share beta versions for feedback over TestFlight for anyone interested.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Hi Jeff. I've actually looking for someone interested in developing an iOS version of an Android app I've been working on called Brew Shop.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.brew.brewshop

My design goal was to build the simplest full-featured homebrew app available for Android while using modern Android design philosophies. It still has a lot of room to grow but I want new features to be thoughtfully designed.

Regardless of where you go with iOS development I've found the members of HomeBrewTalk to be incredibly encouraging and very open to helping developers with suggestions and feedback.

Cheers,
-Eric

I was actually considering putting together a full featured brewing software suite myself. While not a particularly new or unique area, I've found that the current offerings always miss something.

The inclusions I am looking at are calculations based on ingredients
Ability to upload spec sheets for new and experimental ingredients
Save, import and export to and from current cloud services
Share recipes
Configurable online cost look up
Quick links to forums
Export to shopping list app

Is there anything else that should be included?

Thinking about possibly creating PC, Mac, Android, iOS and online versions that all work together with varying feature levels by price points.

Thanks

Back