what went wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gohsm155

Reaction score
i got a beer kit of nut brown ale, it fermented correctly then i put it in the carboy for secondary fermentation. I then put it into the bottling bucket and added the priming sugar. It super carbonated over night and the taste is off. Any ideas?

Wait a minute... you mean you put the priming sugar and the beer in the bottling bucket, then you immediately bottled, right? You didn't leave the beer in the bucket overnight, did you?

Something is off, beer doesn't super carbonate in the bottle over night. I wish it did but alas it does not.

I'm suspecting an infection. First, yeast will not carbonate a bottle overnight, a bacterial infection can. Second, rapid flavor changes are rare in healthy beer (except skunking, which doesn't apply here).

If the primary fermentation and the secondary went off with out a hitch then the most likely answer is infection. But i think we need a few more details. Like OG & FG and fermentation time line. Also did the priming sugar get completely mixed throughout the beer, if not the first couple of bottles may have gotten over loaded with sugar, but that still would not make them carbonate over night.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back