Ordered extract kit, not quite ready to brew. A couple of Q's.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfire

Reaction score
My first extract kit, the "Caribou Slobber" arrives Friday, but I'm still about a week away from brew day. A couple of Q's...

1. What should I put in the fridge until then? I got the liquid yeast. Do I need to refrigerate the syrup?

2. I'm going for the full 5 gallon boil, and the instructions specify 3 gallons boiled added to 2 gallons. The guy at Northern said to cut my first hops by 10%. Any other suggestions? should I just stick to the instructions?

3. Glass carboy or plastic bucket for primary fermentation? I plan on a glass carboy for secondary.

4. What do i put in my airlock? Water? Do I need to worry about a blowoff tube?

This is my first batch of beer and I'm so stoked I can't stand it!!

Thanks again for all the help on this board!

jfire

Congrats!

1. What should I put in the fridge until then? I got the liquid yeast. Do I need to refrigerate the syrup? Fridge yeast and put LME in a cool dark closet/pantry. A few days wont hurt it.
2. I'm going for the full 5 gallon boil, and the instructions specify 3 gallons boiled added to 2 gallons. The guy at Northern said to cut my first hops by 10%. Any other suggestions? should I just stick to the instructions? I would add all the hops personally but its up to you.
3. Glass carboy or plastic bucket for primary fermentation? I plan on a glass carboy for secondary. Plastic for primary
4. What do i put in my airlock? Water? Do I need to worry about a blowoff tube? Put star san in the airlock or vodka. I wouldnt worry about a blowoff tube with the bucket.
Read the beginner section for more good info while you wait to brew.

My first extract kit, the "Caribou Slobber" arrives Friday, but I'm still about a week away from brew day. A couple of Q's...

1. What should I put in the fridge until then? I got the liquid yeast. Do I need to refrigerate the syrup?

FOR A FEW DAYS NOT A BIG DEAL FOR THE EXTRACT.

2. I'm going for the full 5 gallon boil, and the instructions specify 3 gallons boiled added to 2 gallons. The guy at Northern said to cut my first hops by 10%. Any other suggestions? should I just stick to the instructions?

THE SHOP IS RIGHT, BUT I WOULD STICK WITH INSTRUCTIONS FOR NOW JUST TO LEARN THE PROCESS. BUT, FILTER OUT CHLORINE FROM THE WATER.

3. Glass carboy or plastic bucket for primary fermentation? I plan on a glass carboy for secondary.

EITHER IS GOOD. DON;T WORRY ABOUT SECONDARY - JUST PRIMARY FOR 3-4 WEEKS.

4. What do i put in my airlock? Water? Do I need to worry about a blowoff tube?

BLOWOFF TUBE TO START THEN AIRLOCK ONCE THE FERM SETTLES

This is my first batch of beer and I'm so stoked I can't stand it!!

HAVE PATIENCE SO YOU CAN GET A FIRST BREW ON YOUR FIRST ATTEMPT

Thanks again for all the help on this board!

jfire

Good luck!!

B

The main thing to remember about your first brews are to clean and sanitize everything. Use unscented oxyclean for your cleaning, and starsan the s*** out of everything. Don't fear the foam, leave wet starsan on everything. If you can keep sanitized, you will love your first batch.

1-just the yeast.
2-if you can do a full boil, go for it. You can boil 5gals and add cool water after boil to reach your final volume (5gal I suppose)
3-I use the better bottle PET's, work for me, are cheap and safe. Why are you planning a secondary. Not needed if you are not adding anything like dry hopping.
4-Water is fine. you can use vodka as well. If you can't watch your fermenter on a daily basis, add a blow off tube from start, otherwise, only if you realise that a blow off is imminent.

+1 to the above. I too would add the hops per the directions, the hops utilization difference isnt enough to bother with.

You'll like that beer, I have the AG version kegged right now mmmmm

Wow, again this forum continues to amaze me! Thanks for all the advice! I can't wait to start!

jfire

Awesome, you are going to have a blast:)

When I did extract batches I would put the LME bottles in really hot water to help liquify them so that they poured easier into the boil. Also, its hard to beat watching the yeast work in a glass carboy on the first batch at least...
Good luck

Keep in mind that once you pitch the yeast it can be a few days before there is any sign of anything going on.

B

Also, the minimum time to leave in the fermenter is when you check your gravity for 3 days and it has not changed (and it should be close to your target FG, like few points above or under is fine). That is the only way to know that fermentation is complete. You can bottle after that or leave further in the fermenter, like total of 3 to 4 weeks. Some advocate benefits on letting it sit in the fermenter for that long.

Also, the minimum time to leave in the fermenter is when you check your gravity for 3 days and it has not changed (and it should be close to your target FG, like few points above or under is fine). That is the only way to know that fermentation is complete. You can bottle after that or leave further in the fermenter, like total of 3 to 4 weeks. Some advocate benefits on letting it sit in the fermenter for that long.

So how do I take a gravity reading? Do I pull the stopper and airlock and rack a bit of beer? I'm concerned about disturbing my fermenting beer and I haven't seen any info on taking a reading AFTER it's been fermenting.

So how do I take a gravity reading? Do I pull the stopper and airlock and rack a bit of beer? I'm concerned about disturbing my fermenting beer and I haven't seen any info on taking a reading AFTER it's been fermenting.

Turkey baster and a hydrometer.

1. Just yeast. Don't forget to take the yeast out of the fridge early to get it started.

One thing I have done is to put the container of LME in a warm water bath (hot tap water) while the kettle is heating. It is much easier to pour the LME if it is not the constancy of honey

3. I put my beer right into the glass carboy intill fermentation stops and head settles back into the beer.

4. I use Vodka in my airlock

I put my dried yeast that i have left over in the freezer, along with any hops i may have left over. Any arguments against the freezer, other than freezer burn? (i have mine in small packets and have those packets in a ziplock.)

You would only need to take a first FG reading after signs that fermentation is close to complete, like crausen has dropped and airlock activity is spaced by more than a minute. You can remove the stopper and get a sample thru the hole with the beer thief ( or turkey baster as suggested ) if it fits, or remove the bucket lid in case you are using a bucket, or get it thru a spigot if you have one attached, like seen below. The spigot nut is glued with epoxy to the outside of the carboy, minimizing the cleaning efforts. Plus it make a ton easier to transfer the beer out later, no syphoning required.

DSC07017.jpg

1. Just yeast. Don't forget to take the yeast out of the fridge early to get it started.

One thing I have done is to put the container of LME in a warm water bath (hot tap water) while the kettle is heating. It is much easier to pour the LME if it is not the constancy of honey

3. I put my beer right into the glass carboy intill fermentation stops and head settles back into the beer.

4. I use Vodka in my airlock

this is a great tip as well. I wish I would have done this for my first brew. lme jugs takes forever to pour if its room temp. and i had to do two of them.

You can also get a winethief, put the hydrometer in it (after both are sanitized) and then pull the sample and get your reading. When you're done, you can stick the thief right back into the carboy, set the tip against the side, and let the sample slip right back into your beer. No oxidation, no contamination, and no lost beer (unless you prefer to drink your hydrometer samples, of course).

First of all, I am also a newbie. Been reading this forum for a month or so, finally joined. Incredibly helpful group, thanks to everyone.
A little word of warning about warming extract. After soaking can I warm tap water, which works very well, the label will shred in your hand and leave behind a wet, slippery goo. Embarrassed to say my first one went for a swim. And splashed hot liquid all over me, my lovely and patient wife and the stove. Lesson learned.
Now on third batch. I am hooked. Good luck.

Back