stopped bubbling after 24hrs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoutman82

Reaction score
So I'm brewing my first batch its Thomas Coopers Irish stout extract kit. Once I had it all mixed together I sealed it up the next morning I had some fermentation and bubbling. This went on for 24hrs even getting very active at times but then I woke up this morning to nothing no bubbles at all. Should I open it up and check the kit says 7-10 days I brewed it on Saturday evening. Thanks for any help and pointers.

Just leave it for a couple of weeks. Check it in say 2+ weeks. Airlock activity does not tell you whether fermentation is still taking place.

You can check it sooner than two weeks to see where your gravity stands, but Boise is right - airlock activity should not be used as an indicator of completed fermentation.

Oh Ok thanks for the input I'll let it sit. I've been feeling like a kid at Christmas so impatient waiting on this.

It is difficult, yes, but the general consensus is a long primary of several to numerous weeks. However, to make it interesting, have a little sample each week so you can taste the changes as it perfects.

B

Airlock activity means nothing. Check your hydrometer in a couple weeks.

I brewed a Belgian dark strong on 12/12 that was still bubbling this morning, and I know that thing is done fermenting at this point. After your first couple batches you forget about them for a while, and thus will not be affected by airlock activity.

Airlock activity means nothing. Check your hydrometer in a couple weeks.

I brewed a Belgian dark strong on 12/12 that was still bubbling this morning, and I know that thing is done fermenting at this point. After your first couple batches you forget about them for a while, and thus will not be affected by airlock activity.

The first time I saw my airlock bubble I was so excited!! I yelled to my wife,"It's working! It's working!" Just like Elliot did when he and E.T. made that phone thingy. I wish I could get that feeling back...

My first batch just recently stopped bubbling after two days. I've haven't been relaxed, I have worried, cause i don't have a Home brew...yet! But now I feel better after reading this thread.

Really, I think all all kits for newbies should include a 12 of a local home brew. The cost would be worth assuaging the anxiety of waiting for one's first batch....

My first batch just recently stopped bubbling after two days. I've haven't been relaxed, I have worried, cause i don't have a Home brew...yet! But now I feel better after reading this thread.

Really, I think all all kits for newbies should include a 12 of a local home brew. The cost would be worth assuaging the anxiety of waiting for one's first batch....

You should just do like I'm doing. I brewed on the 18th. I haven't opened the bucket since and am in no hurry. Why? Because I haven't drank enough store bought brews to build up my bottle supply. Got another 12er to go through. Once that is done, then I can start considering checking for my FG.

The first time I saw my airlock bubble I was so excited!! I yelled to my wife,"It's working! It's working!" Just like Elliot did when he and E.T. made that phone thingy. I wish I could get that feeling back...

Lol the ET comparison is perfect. I've only done a dozen batches though so I still get a big smile on my face when I see activity but at least now I can restrain from dragging my wife downstairs to look at it :D

...I haven't drank enough store bought brews to build up my bottle supply. Got another 12er to go through. Once that is done, then I can start considering checking for my FG.

Good point, yes yes, good point. But what is it saying if if i started brewing Saturday yet already have two full cases of empties? From the Holidays of course!
No, we didn't have any visitors. I was just extra festive that's all...

Good point, yes yes, good point. But what is it saying if if i started brewing Saturday yet already have two full cases of empties? From the Holidays of course!
No, we didn't have any visitors. I was just extra festive that's all...

It's saying that you need to drink more because (from experience) you won't be able to quit with just one batch. Get a second fermenter and another kit so you can brew again before you forget what you learned on the first batch. Besides, it's nice to have a choice of beers to drink while you are waiting for the next batch to mature. I only have 9 varieties to choose from now so I'm getting ready to make the next batch and I only drink one 12 oz bottle a day.

Back