Green vs brown bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwgolling

Reaction score
If green bottles are so deleterious to beer, why do some commercial brewies like Spaten, Grolsch, and Yeungling use them. Although I have drunk some skunky Yeungling, I have not noticed any ill effects from the imports.
Should I avoid bottling in green bottles, and if not should I go to extremes to shelter the green bottles from light?
I just don't get it.

You can bottle beer in whatever you want as long as you keep it away from UV light sources as much as possible. Brown glass tends to provide the best filtering of the UV light when compared to green and clear glass.

I heard the reason for mostly European lagers being bottled in green bottle was due to a shortage in brown glass bottle (don't know how) and only green being available some time back in the day. The imported beers (which were probably thought of as higher quality becasue there are imported) come in green bottles and everone started associating green bottles = good/high quality beer, therefore the breweries keeped using the green bottles as it had become a stigma. I could be wrong but at least it makes a good story. Tell your 3 year old, they will believe anything!

St. Pauli Girl= total skunk
Heineken = usually skunky
Grolsch = usually skunky
Rolling Rock= total skunk

clear bottles:
Corona= total skunk

If you get a beer well taken care of, the color of the bottle doesn't matter as much. But most of the time, green bottles in a commercial beer cause skunkiness. At home, you can keep the bottles in a dark place, to the color doesn't matter as much.

Grolsch = usually skunky

clear bottles:
Corona= total skunk
Oh yeah? Then how do you explain Bud Lite with Lim...

Oh. Nevermind.

Grolsch = usually skunky

Yeah, this is an easy test. Buy 2 bottles of Heineken and 2 cans (you'll probably wind up with 6 of each, but whatever).

Drink a bottle. Drink a can. 95% of bottles are lightstruck, you'll taste the difference immediately.

If you don't, wait until a sunny day. Put the second bottle out in the bright sun for an hour. Re-refrigerate. Drink the bottle and the can that night. You'll definitely taste the difference.

Back