Maris Otter extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClassicXJ

Reaction score
I have a recipe for a Chimay red clone that calls for 6.6 lbs of Marris Otter light LME but it seems that no one carries it anymore.

Does anyone know of anyplace that sells it?

If I can't find it, what would be a good sub for it?

Thanks

Just did a check of some websites & your right nobody seems to carry MO LME.

I would use Pilsner DME or BELGIAN_PALE_EXTRACT

<forgot to ask, are you doing some version of this recipe?>
http://www.brew365.com/beer_chimay_red.php

------------------------------------
Chimay Rouge

Bottle Conditioned.
Ingredients: Pilsner malt (French barley from Champagne) & caramalt; German Hallertaur & American Galena hops. Yeast & sugar added to the bottled beer.
Chimay Rouge (Red) is noted for its coppery colour which makes it particularly attractive. Topped with a creamy head, it gives off a light, fruity apricot aroma produced by the fermentation. The taste perceived in the mouth is a balance confirming the fruity nuances noticed in the fragrance. Its taste, which imparts a silky sensation to the tongue, is made refreshing by a light touch of bitterness. To the palate, the taster perceives a pleasant astringency which complements the flavour qualities of this beer very harmoniously. This top fermented Trappist beer, refermented in the bottle, is not pasteurised

Williams used to carry a Maris Otter extract, but I don't see it on their site any more.

They do have a "pale ale extract," which is "mashed from the finest two row European pale ale malt, and is ideal for English and American style Pale Ale and Bitter. Compared with our German Pils extract, this one has a slightly darker color and a hint of caramel in the malt flavor. An aromatic, rich flavored pale extract with a 'just mashed' character for ale and IPA styles."

Is this Maris Otter? I would expect that if it was, they would say so, though I have found them to be exceedingly unhelpful in the past when asked about what sort of malts they put in their various extracts. But maybe it would work better for you than Alexanders, et al.

Back