cooling a carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jomoma

Reaction score
ok, beginner here. i just got done with my first batch a while ago n wanna start on second but need to ferment at a cooler temperature. i live in south south texas where my house is about 80 degrees all day long and i dont have an extra refrigerator to use for fermenting. does anyone have any tips for cooling off their carboy?

jomoma (nice name btw!)
check the "similar threads" below. you will find what you are looking for.

Happy brewing!

Jomoma,

I live in FL and I have the same problem....lucky for me though I have a spare bedroom with its own airvent to keep the room at a crisp 70 when the rest of the house is at 80. Before this I used to use one of those keg buckets from wally world and rotated bottles of ice through it daily....kind of a pain but it worked.

I cool in a bucket, but it works the same way... swamp cooler, like Benjibbad says. Big plastic bucket from target with the rope handles, put in the carboy, fill partway up with water, throw in ice bottles and swap them out as they melt.

We had a hot spell a few weeks ago and the air temp in the apartment was in the upper 80's. The thermometer sitting on top of my bucket was in the low 70's and when I dipped my digital thermometer an inch into the beer it read 68 degrees. All I had to do was swap about 3 frozen water bottles every 4-6 hours or so and it kept it nice and cool.

Back