I see Hops for $20 a pound?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnaX

Reaction score
I see the little "right not on ebay" display above threads when I visit the forum.

So I decide to ebay search "hops"
And Im finding a bunch of things like:
"1 pound of Argentine Cascade Hop Pellets" for $20 + free shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Argentine-Cascade-Pellet-Hops-1-POUND_W0QQitemZ350106334561QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item350106334561&_trkparms=72%3A1205|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

"1 pound Mt Hood Hops " $20 + $10 shipping
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mt-Hood-Hops-Going-out-of-Business-1-LB-At-My-Cost_W0QQitemZ320305477443QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320305477443&_trkparms=72%3A1205|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

"1 Pound Hallertauer Hops" $25 + free shipping
http://cgi.ebay.com/German-Select-Hops-1lb-Hallertau-Home-brew-beer-making_W0QQitemZ260296525573QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260296525573&_trkparms=72%3A1205|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I believe these are all "Buy it Now", so you don't have to fight other bidders
I just thought this would be worth posting for anyone trying to stock up for the winter. :rockin:

I'm guessing these are 2007 hops. Probably trying to clear them out for the 2008 hops.

I'm guessing these are 2007 hops. Probably trying to clear them out for the 2008 hops.

You're probably right because the Agentine Cascades are from Midwest Supplies. So at least you know they have been stored well, so there probably isn't anything wrong with them at all. Hops can last a couple years when vacume sealed and kept frozen.

The hallertaus are
Only 1.5% Alpha Acid
so that's probably the reason for that price.

Argentinian cascades are about as useful to most brewers as tits on a witch...they're not a substitute for cascade...they are a sub for saatz...I think there's only one of tqo of us on here who has actually brewed with them...they're really nothing special.

Argentinian cascades are about as useful to most brewers as tits on a witch...they're not a substitute for cascade...they are a sub for saatz...I think there's only one of tqo of us on here who has actually brewed with them...they're really nothing special.

I used them becasue my LHBS had them on sale. There's a reason they were on sale, becasue they didn't want them in their store anymore. I will never use them again, not like Cascade, not like Saaz, not like anything I want in my beer again.

Good find! I just bought a pound of the Argentine Cascades for some Belgian-style ales I plan to brew soon.

Sweet deal at $1.25/oz with free shipping from Midwest.

Good find! I just bought a pound of the Argentine Cascades for some Belgian-style ales I plan to brew soon.

Sweet deal at $1.25/oz with free shipping from Midwest.

^^^^^^ Sucker J/K ;)

I used them becasue my LHBS had them on sale. There's a reason they were on sale, becasue they didn't want them in their store anymore. I will never use them again, not like Cascade, not like Saaz, not like anything I want in my beer again.

I have a bunch I bought for a dollar an ounce...I've only used one ounce so far...it wasn't terrible in what I was brewing...but it wasn't great either...

I just got a lb of Spalt from breworganic for $20. They're 2006'ers that were 4.5% (says 5% on the package though), still vacuum sealed and had been in a freezer the whole time, plus I plan on using them in lambics/wits and whathaveyou, so whatevs

I just bought a pound of 2007 Saaz from NB. They keep their hops sealed in mylar bags in their freezer, nitrogen purged as well if I'm not mistaken. At any rate better kept than the 2007s in my freezer, and they're still fine so I figured what the hell. It was ridiculous trying to find Saaz last year.

I like them quite a bit. I don't find them any more special than most other varieties, but they are perfect for a couple beers I brew. I do wish they would give them a different name, though.

TL

I like them quite a bit. I don't find them any more special than most other varieties, but they are perfect for a couple beers I brew. I do wish they would give them a different name, though.

TL

Tex, what beers are you using them in? And you're right about the name confusion, that's how I ended up with several ounces before I got home and googled them. there's a party store near me that has an aisle of homebrew and winemaking supplies, and I saw them on the rack for a dollar an ounce, so I scooped them up.

German Tradition Hops! 1 LB. 6% $22 + $10 shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/German-Tradition-Hops-1-LB-6-A-Acid-Hallertau-Clone_W0QQitemZ320304446141QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320304446141&_trkparms=72%3A1205|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

That's the last I found for hops. Someone else posted a bout this site:

6 oz of 6% perle hops for $6.65

German Spalt Select Pellet Hops, 1 Lb $20.93
German Spalt Select Pellet Hops, 1 Lb. ** OLD CROP CLOSEOUT ** - OH7D

But if you order 3 of these, you get 18 oz for $19.95:
German Spalt Select Whole Hops: 6 oz. only 4%
German Spalt Select Whole Hops: 6 oz. (2005 Closeout) - OH16C

If it lets you. Maybe give the site an email for 3 orders of that... assuming someone is interested.

I also found some AWESOME prices on Kegs and bottles! I mean awesome :D
I'll put them up in a thread :)

Latest posts

Back