Add yeast at bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turkeyfoot Jr.

Reaction score
First, the beer:

A Belgian Tripel that sat in the primary for 2 weeks and will be in the secondary for 5 weeks. It’s OG was 1.084 and the SG at racking was 1.009. For the duration of the primary and the secondary the beer's been in the basement at 68-70F.

My question is, do I need to add yeast at bottling time? I did a search just now for threads that contain the words “bottling” and “yeast” and found a whole lot of different opinions. I know, I know, that’s par for the course but I really don’t want to screw up this beer.

Here’s what I found in my search:

-Any time up to 6 weeks in the secondary isn’t long enough to have to worry about all the yeast falling out of suspension, prime and bottle as usual.

-Any time the beer’s in the secondary longer than 4 weeks you should add yeast at bottling.

-When transferring from the secondary to the bottling bucket stir up some of the sediment to get some extra yeast.

-After preparing and cooling your priming solution rehydrate 1/2-1/3 of a packet of dry yeast in the solution and add to your bottling bucket.

I think that covers the majority of the responses I found. One thing I did not find were responses from the people who started those threads stating whether they did or did not follow the given advice and what the result was. Can anyone give me some specific examples of brews where they followed one of the above solutions and what the result was?

Furthermore, and this may make the whole question moot, but would adding yeast as a “just in case” cause any ill affects?

Finally, none of the responses I read stated you should add a whole packet of yeast if you go that route but would adding a whole packet hurt? The reason I ask is that I’m not sure how long an opened packet of dry yeast will last and why throw it away if adding it won’t hurt.

i'd say if you went from 1.084 to 1.009 (89% Attenuation!!!) those yeast are tough and can handle it without repitching ;)

but...throwing more yeast in won't hurt. worth thing you'll do with overpitching is add yeast taste to the brew, and they'll settle anyway. I'd do it a few days before you bottle if you're going to.

your choice :)

I posted a thread on slightly higher gravity brew, but the same problem. I bottled one stout - og 1.12 fg 1.024 or so, 1 week in primary 3 weeks in secondary. I added yeast at bottling and 1/4 of the usual priming sugar. I gave the primer 45 minutes or so to get going a little because I was afraid once they entered the alcohol bath it would croak. This one has been in the bottle 30 days or so. I actually cracked one yesterday and it was perfectly carbonated. This scares me because I am wondering if it won't be too carbonated in 4 months or so.

I did another nearly identical batch at almost the same time, but without more yeast. Yesterday it had the slightest bit of carbonation, which I feel confident will leave it perfect come november. Hope this helps!

I only use a secondary now if I am going to volume condition a brew (typically a porter or stout). Usually, they will get 6 - 12 weeks in the secondary. I did the first few without adding yeast, and they all carbonated (eventually -- it definitely takes longer). I had one that failed to carbonate until I added some yeast in the bottles, which was a royal PITA.

So now, I always add a half package of dry yeast in my bottling bucket. If you are careful about sanitization, what can it hurt?

I think that's what I'm going to do, add a half a packet of yeast. The timing is going to be such that by the time I get back from my vacation I'll have the tripel that's been in the secondary for 5 weeks and a stout that's been in the secondary for 3-4. I think I'm going to bottle both the same weekend and split the packet between them.

cheezydemon, I could be wrong on this but I don't think your brew that was well carbed after 30 days will be overcarbed come November. My understanding is that the yeast will eat up what sugars are available and then settle out so provided you didn't use more than the recommended about of sugar or DME and that your beer was finished fermenting before you bottled you should be fine.

Thanks! I appreciate the input Roterdrache. I actually used 1/4 of the usual amount of priming sugar. That in itself is a testament to the ability of a beer to carbonate itself if given time. I have to admit that I just cracked 1 more last night and the carbonation was still spot on a couple of weeks after the last test, so I am hoping that you are right! Thanks.

Latest posts

Back