First All-Grain batch... Dos Equis clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BulldogBrewer

Reaction score
So I'm planning on doing my first All-Grain batch soon and thinking it will be the Dos Equis recipe from "Clone Brews".

The directions say to Mash at 122 degrees for 30 minutes then 150 for 60 minutes. How do you achieve this in a cooler style mash tun?

Thanks!

I'm wondering if you could mash it really thick at 122 and then add more (very) hot water to bring the temp up to the 150 target....

Does this make sense?

Grain bill is 9.25 lbs.

Use 7qts of 136 degree water to hit 122 for 30 minutes.
Use 7qts of Boiling water to his 155 for 60 minutes.

I'm assuming I'll lose probably a gallon to the grain so I'll batch sparge @ 170 degrees w/ 3.5 gallons to hit about 6 gallons in the boil and boil off a gallon over 60-90 minutes.

Does that sound about right?

Thanks again!

Or you could build a steam infusion manifold.... I'll be doing so this weekend since I have a huge brew on deck which requires a protein rest and I mash in a cooler.

With no new equipment here's what I'd do:

Assume 1 gallon grain absorption, 1 gallon boiloff. 7 gallon brew water.

11.56 qts 135* water to attain 122
7.7 qts boiling water to attain 155
8.74 qts 170* water to sparge

I used the calculator here http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml for the step volume calc.

Being that this is his first AG, I doubt he has constructed a SAFE steam infusion system.

Yes, it is very common to add boiling (or nearly so) water to the mash to step up temps in a cooler.

Your grain will absorb about 1 gallon yes.

You will end up with 6 gallons in the kettle (if you have NO deadspace in the MLT)... so I think you are shy on water.

If you are boiling, you can expect 1-1.3 gallons/hr boil off. If you are boiling for 90 minutes you will want to plan for at least 1.5 gallons boil off IMHO. So you will want to start with more wort in the kettle. On top of this, make sure you account for losses in the MLT. Id start with 6.5 gallons MIN. in the kettle.

When I 90 minute boil,I start with at least 7 gallons.

Hey! Yeah, I've had a few, they came out great. I missed my fermentation volume by about 1/2 gallon, but that didn't seem to effect it much. I did the Dos Equis because it's about the only beer SWMBO likes, and she says it tastes just like it.

Are you in the local club? I haven't had a free weekend when the meetings are held but hope to hook up with them sometime soon.

Latest posts

Back