Step increasing sugar to top out EC-1118

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonicvalley

Reaction score
I am trying to top out a batch of EC-1118 at 18% abv. My last batch I added all the sugar at the beginning and (I think) shocked the yeast. It was a loss. I was reading around on here and I think I need to step increase my sugar. So with this new batch I am starting off with an SG of 1.092. Can anyone tell me when I would begin adding more sugar and how much?

I started adding sugar when the gravity got down to 1.020 and I continued to add sugar for 6 days straight. I'd take a gravity reading and adjust my sugar addition based on how the yeast were performing. I got up to 18%, but stopped because I was bottling and hadn't started kegging. I was never able to bottle carbonate it so the beer was flat, but tasted good. It was a 120 clone.

I generally wait until I hit 1.000, then sweeten up to 1.010-1.020, stirring up the yeast as I sweeten. Don't forget to mix some of your wine into the sugar to make a slurry, or you'll end up with a very sticky floor/walls/ceiling. Make sure all the nutrient additions you want to make are done long before you start to step-feed sugar additions, as any that aren't absorbed by yeast may leave a nasty taste.

Step feeding it could work, but EC-1118 doesn't always survive the process. I have a port wine kit that was step fed to raise the ABV, and the yeast tuckered out early at 15-16%, leaving the SG hovering around 1.010.

Optimally, you would want the SG to fall below 1.020 before feeding any more sugar (and some nutrient), and don't dump it all in at once. You may even want to dissolve the sugar in water. As for quantity... I can't recall how the different types affect gravity. I know I read it a while back, so I'm sure it the info is floating around somewhere.

I would get it started around 1.100, like you are suggesting. Make sure you give it plenty of energizer and nutrient. You could even mix that into the sugar additions. Speaking of that, what are you planning ? I would cook up some simple syrup and have it ready to go once your cider gets rolling.
I did something similar with a huge barleywine. Got the fermentation going strong, then added my additional sugars twice a day, a quart at a time. Yours might be a smaller additions, but you should be able to calculate where the EC1118 will peter out, and adjust from there. You don't want to hit the yeast with too much additional sugar at one time.
I have not done this, but this could be rocket fuel or just a very strong cider. You might have to let it bulk age for a while to mellow out. Plus let the ML Fermentation complete.
Good Luck

I calculated 10 lbs of sugar for about 18% abv. I added 5 lbs at the beginning and got 1.092 SG. So I will wait a bit and then add the other 5 lbs slowly and keep track of it...

It `can` all be added at the beginning but you will need to `rock the carboy often as fermentation slows down daily if not several times daily. Raising the temp a little also helps.

Back