Control Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theologia14

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have gotten very good advice from every one on a HERMS based system and now have a stand, pump, coil, two converted kegs and a cooler mlt (yes I will update the cooler sometime this year or next year). As I currently have a propane burner under the boil kettle I am now looking into control options for at least the hlt for now. I literally am clueless as to the most simple and cost effective way to control the mash temp through the hlt (building the other pieces was easy, electronics are not my thing).

First, what is a basic PID that simply turns on and off for a specified heat range, and maybe time, and how do I install it? What heat source will I need with your suggestion? (This is an outside brewery with absolutely no room inside or in garage except for storage).

Second, what would be a step up in the control world, and why? I am not looking to drop hundreds here, I simply want to have recirculation control between my hlt and mlt for now, but like to know my options.

Thanks everyone, I am really close to that first brew on this system.

Hey all,

I have gotten very good advice from every one on a HERMS based system and now have a stand, pump, coil, two converted kegs and a cooler mlt (yes I will update the cooler sometime this year or next year). As I currently have a propane burner under the boil kettle I am now looking into control options for at least the hlt for now. I literally am clueless as to the most simple and cost effective way to control the mash temp through the hlt (building the other pieces was easy, electronics are not my thing).

First, what is a basic PID that simply turns on and off for a specified heat range, and maybe time, and how do I install it? What heat source will I need with your suggestion? (This is an outside brewery with absolutely no room inside or in garage except for storage).

Second, what would be a step up in the control world, and why? I am not looking to drop hundreds here, I simply want to have recirculation control between my hlt and mlt for now, but like to know my options.

Thanks everyone, I am really close to that first brew on this system.

Do you have any 240 circuits in the garage?

If you're trying save a little money you might use a water heater element, thermal well, contractor, and temperature switch. The wiring would be easy but this method would still run into the hundreds. Maybe someone will have a cheap way to do a PID......

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/T...eSwitches/DigitalPanelMount/SeriesTS/Ordering

lots of people are buying the auber instruments PIDs (www.auberins.com) with SSRs because the water heater elements would draw too much electricity through the PID. you can look through the manual for the auber PIDs on the website and it will give you a good idea on how it all works. http://auberins.com/images/Manual/Manual version 3.4.pdf

Most people use the PID to run a water heater element in the HLT which the mash is circulated through. and you can get water heater elements for cheap since you don't need a lwd since it's just water and not wort in the HLT.

Back