Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again a neewbie question ; Is this recipe in us gallon or imperial gallon (canada)

****5 Gallon Batch****

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 3.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Would there be a place in this beer anywhere for Citra hops? I have two extra ounces of the stuff laying around and really like citra hops.

C8076566-B2A3-4D21-8530-CD91885B4C7F.jpeg

Brew a 2.75 gallon batch of this last night. Came in a little high on the OG at 1.050, but I’m expecting a tasty beer!

My hydrometer sample was already clearing up nicely as I was letting it cool.

Would there be a place in this beer anywhere for Citra hops? I have two extra ounces of the stuff laying around and really like citra hops.

Yes. I brewed a variation of this recipe as one of my first all grains.
As long as you use a comparable level of hops to keep your bittering levels close to the original, why not experiment a bit?

Just brewed this up for the first time over the weekend. Only $19.80 out the door of the LHBS for grains/hops/yeast. Shop owner had to add everything up twice because he couldn't believe I was brewing a 5.5 gallon batch for under $20.

I had to come up with something lighter and less expensive to go with the $55 Imperial IPA I brewed the weekend before that's coming out at about 9.1% ABV and 85 IBU!

I'm getting about 85% efficiency with my BIAB process so my OG ended up around 1.045 which should put this one at about 4.8%. Thinking it should still come out damn fine! :)

anybody tried this one with the BIAB no sparge thecnique ? How much water you start with and how much more grain ?

anybody tried this one with the BIAB no sparge thecnique ? How much water you start with and how much more grain ?
Only you can answer that based on your own setup's mash and brewhouse efficiency. Are you using any type of brewing software currently? What is your average efficiency for BIAB? Mashout or no mashout? What volume do you usually end up with before boiling?

There's a really handy BIAB calculator out there that I recently found that you can input all your numbers into that will help you with volumes. I'll see if I can find it.

I use this one. You need to know your boil off rate and grain absorption. Only trial and error will tell you these. Personally I use 1.25 gal/hr for boil off and 0.06 gal/lb of grain. Your results may vary. I do squeeze the bag so that effects the absorption of the grain.

http://www.biabcalculator.com/

Only you can answer that based on your own setup's mash and brewhouse efficiency. Are you using any type of brewing software currently? What is your average efficiency for BIAB? Mashout or no mashout? What volume do you usually end up with before boiling?

There's a really handy BIAB calculator out there that I recently found that you can input all your numbers into that will help you with volumes. I'll see if I can find it.

thanks for you answer. Actually it will be my first attempt at all grain. I will use a BIAB bag in my coleman cooler for mashing. I was thinking about using the no sparge method. I'v seen a simple rule on the internet. Preboil volume + 12 oz per pound of grain as mash water volume. Then I will pull the bag out off the cooler and squeeze the water out and follow the recipe. Does that sounds ok ?

thanks for you answer. Actually it will be my first attempt at all grain. I will use a BIAB bag in my coleman cooler for mashing. I was thinking about using the no sparge method. I'v seen a simple rule on the internet. Preboil volume + 12 oz per pound of grain as mash water volume. Then I will pull the bag out off the cooler and squeeze the water out and follow the recipe. Does that sounds ok ?

This method would work if it’s indeed tied into your set up. No sparge and squeezing is fine as well.

Jumping back into this thread, I ended up brewing the Blonde Ale from the Classic Beer Styles book. Does this thread recipe tie in to the published one? I enjoyed the hell of out CBS recipe as it was brewed for family over the holidays. Wonder if brewing this one is a must?

I think 12 oz/lb of grain is too much. I do about 8oz. Maybe if you don't squeeze 12 oz wold be about right. Use the calculator I posted above. It works well.

Has anybody ever tried to do a fruit addition to this? I've brewed the base blonde a couple times and I do enjoy it, but I'm thinking about splitting my next batch and mixing it up a bit.

Brew Brotha - This one is cheap enough, why not try and see which you prefer? I have brewed both recipes, and i have done them both as All grain and extract. All-grain, I am not sure i favor one over the other. Extract, i prefer this one . . . I think! I have brewed this one more than the other. But they are both good. No help i know!

Has anybody ever tried to do a fruit addition to this? I've brewed the base blonde a couple times and I do enjoy it, but I'm thinking about splitting my next batch and mixing it up a bit.
I haven't with this recipe but I have on others that don't have fruit in the recipe. It's a good idea! Just make sure to pick a fruit that would go well. This beer is light so I'd think pretty much anything would go well with it. Using dried fruit, non sugared, works well with embarking good fruit flavor. I do a Christmas scotch ale every others year and it uses dried cranberries in it. You take about a good quart of first runnings and steep the dried cranberries in it for the duration of the boil then add it back at flameout. While they're steeping I like to mash up the cranberries so it adds more flavor. Comes out well every time. You can add fruit in the secondary too. Just depends on what you want to do. Good luck!

Just brewed this up. Color was a bit darker than expected, even at mash out. i was expecting golden, but it was more on the caramel side.

Question- is there a difference between 2row and 2row pale malt?

Edit: everything went well though. Hit all my numbers. Looking forward to trying this one!

Just brewed this up. Color was a bit darker than expected, even at mash out. i was expecting golden, but it was more on the caramel side.

Question- is there a difference between 2row and 2row pale malt?

That's a good question.
Really depends on where you are from. The standard 2row mentioned here is normally only available in America and is a bit lighter in colour than the European 2-row Pale malt. It's malted differently and is a bit more malty and a few ECB/Lovibond darker.

I live in Europe and just substitute American 2-row for the recipes here with Castle/weyermann/Szwan but European Pilsner malt should be a bit closer if you don't mind boiling your wort for 90 instead of 60 mins (if you believe the DMS myth).

Interesting. I don’t even know what type of “2 row” the LHBS gave me. Next time i’ll do this batch with a specific grain bill put together on NB or something to get more control of what goes in.

Brewed this last week and hit 1.004 after just 7 days. I'm picking up some banana esters and wondering if I should wait to cold crash and leave it sit a bit longer. Unfortunately I missed my chance to remove the cooling to get a solid diacetyl rest :(

I pitched a healthy dose of Inland Island 010 and fermented at 66F.

OG of 1.040

Sorry if this has already been answered, long thread...anyone think I'll need a blowoff tube with this or airlock from the beginning ok? Im doing 5 gallons in a 6 gallon carboy. With the small grain bill and low OG I'm assuming not but just want to make sure.

EDIT: Never mind, found my answer.

EDIT 2: This definitely needed a blowoff tube, should have known better. My OG was a few points higher though.

I believe i'll be dry hopping with the rest of my Centennial (.75 oz), cant wait to try this!

Last edited:
So I went way above my target OG and quite a bit lower on my FG. I bottled today at 5.6%. The sample I tasted at bottling had a very "tart" aftertaste. Is this because of my higher ABV? Is it possible it will mellow out while bottled over time?

So I went way above my target OG and quite a bit lower on my FG. I bottled today at 5.6%. The sample I tasted at bottling had a very "tart" aftertaste. Is this because of my higher ABV? Is it possible it will mellow out while bottled over time?

Would be shocked if it didn't mellow, this is a very forgiving recipe and tart would be the last character I'd normally associate with this beer. I still "taste" when transferring to keg or bottle (can't help myself), but have learned to take the outcome with a huge grain of salt. The sample is rarely, if ever, indicative of the final product.

Overshot the OG on this batch myself (new setup..), so maybe we'll find out about the same time how a 5%+ABV Centennial Blonde works out.
IMG_3229.jpg

Last edited:
Came here just to say how much I love this recipe. This is definitely going to be something I continue to brew and keep on tap as a house ale. Extremely quaffable and great to have when doing work around the house (or with food, or just because). OG on my first batch so far came in a little lower than intended but fermented out drier (1.035 to 1.004), so I ended up at exactly 4% ABV. Not only is it delicious, but beautifully clear!

kpz9v1V.jpg

Came here just to say how much I love this recipe. This is definitely going to be something I continue to brew and keep on tap as a house ale. Extremely quaffable and great to have when doing work around the house (or with food, or just because). OG on my first batch so far came in a little lower than intended but fermented out drier (1.035 to 1.004), so I ended up at exactly 4% ABV. Not only is it delicious, but beautifully clear!

kpz9v1V.jpg

Damn, this is making me thirsty. Time to plan a brew day!. Thanks for sharing.

Made a modified version of this utilizing a 30 minute mash and 30 minute boil moving the centennial hops to a 30 FWH addition. Also did a partial boil and topped off with spring water in the fermenter. All said and done from beginning to cleaned up and finished... 3 hours! Fermented 10 days cold crashed and quick carved at 30 psi. Came out great!! I’ve made this so many times over the last few years and tried different techniques to brew it, it always turns out great and I think I finally need to reside to having this permanently on tap year round. Thanks once again BM!

Made a modified version of this utilizing a 30 minute mash and 30 minute boil moving the centennial hops to a 30 FWH addition. Also did a partial boil and topped off with spring water in the fermenter. All said and done from beginning to cleaned up and finished... 3 hours! Fermented 10 days cold crashed and quick carved at 30 psi. Came out great!! I’ve made this so many times over the last few years and tried different techniques to brew it, it always turns out great and I think I finally need to reside to having this permanently on tap year round. Thanks once again BM!
I love the idea of a shorter brew day, as well as a partial boil. Will have to try the partial boil during the cold winter months, could biab right in the kitchen!

Just wondering if anyone has brewed this great beer using some Rye? And if so how did it turn out?

I'm wondering if its possible to increase the ABV a little by just adding an extra pound of two row? Do you think it will impact the flavour and mouth feel too much?

I've brewed this wonderful beer at least 3 times now. Gonna give it a go again in a few weeks.
A friend and I wanna do a kolsch. Would throwing in a kolsch yeast work with this recipe?
Or should I just look up an actual kolsch recipe?

I may give this a go with some wlp0029. Anyone done this recipe with that yeast?
Great minds here man. I'm wondering the same thing. The AZ summer is peaking its nasty head around the corner and I need a quafer. This blonde is an amazing recipe, but wanna give it a shot with a kolsch yeast

I'm wondering if its possible to increase the ABV a little by just adding an extra pound of two row? Do you think it will impact the flavour and mouth feel too much?
I've done that a couple times and it still tasted great, never tried it side by side with the original recipe, but it defintely won't hurt anything.

Just brewed this 03/27/18 OG 1.039
FG 1.004! Used Nottingham for the first time. Wow! I was shocked to see that reading on my hydrometer.

Back