Floating Lager Yeast Cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Air_Force_FE

Reaction score
I have a question prolly already been answered but here it is. I have had stuck fermentation and have had some really sweet beers come out even after 4 weeks. So I started taking samples. when I open my keg up to take a sample the yeast cake was floating at the top. I smashed it up so I could get my sample tube in and it was at 1.025, shooting for a 1.013. After I broke up the yeast cake it started fermenting again. So I opened up my other 2 kegs fermenting and the same thing has happened to the other 2. I have them in a temp controlled chest freezer set to 54F. What can I do to fix this problem or should I just keep breakin up the yeast cakes, is it right for the lager yeast to be floating like this? the beer has tasted fine and come out clear so no problems on that end, except for the sweetness.

Here are some photos

image-4293094286.jpg

image-2675896773.jpg

image-907497131.jpg

Lager yeast tend to be bottom fermenting, so I'd ignore that and not mess with it. But it's possible that there is a bit too much pressure in there during fermentation, so I'd make sure it's fully vented (with your spunding valve) or airlocked.

I have a hose hooked up the gas in side of the keg and it goes into a gallon of sanitizer. The yeast is a lager yeast. Do you think opening up the other valve on top of the keg will help.

Back