English Brown Ale --- IBU tweak ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SleepySamSlim

Reaction score
I'm going to brew batch #2 --- a English Brown Ale - Southern ---- so this will be a malty brew.

Using BeerSmith on the recipe I get a IBU of 12.5 --- which is in the lower range of 10-20 IBUs for a Southern Brown Ale. I'm tempted to do a minor hops boot to hit an IBU 15.

I am indeed looking to brew a mild smooth ale .... so am I quibbling about a points of IBUs ??

I'm not sure I'd stress a couple IBU's to be honest. Just follow the recipe and see what happens. If you think it needs more hops or whatever you can tweak the recipe next time.

I'm with Hooter. If there is a recipe somebody seems to think it is good. So I would do the recipe and THEN tweak it. All IBUs are not created equal.

Most people can't even detect a 10 point difference. I took an off-flavor seminar at OSU and when they gave us four samples, 10, 20, 30 & 40 IBU, only one person out of 22 got them all in the correct order!

Wasn't me, by the way. I had the 20 & 30 swapped.

Back