Permeability of rubber and vinyl sheeting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotrodtrash

Reaction score
I have a concept for a DIY fermentation vessel. Essentially it's a 55 gallon food grade plastic barrel sectioned with vinyl or rubber covered plywood. The only thing i'm questioning is how much 1) air will get with this design 2) is there a possibility for one section of beer to soak through the vinyl or rubber (at a very slow pace) to the other, rot the wood and destroy this and 3)does the material leech anything over time to hurt me or my brew.

Any input on this would be awesome.

1) not sure
2) it would depend on the rubber, but most likely no.
3) yes. Try taking a piece of the vinyl or rubber you'd use and put it in a coffee cup full of water. Heat it up the microwave a bit, cool it off and have a taste. I doubt it's a flavor you'd want in your beer.

How would you create a water tight seal from one side to the other while still keeping it sanitary?

If you want to ferment 27 gal at a time, why not use 30 gal food grade barrels instead of 55 gal?

The plan is to section it sideways into 9 separate vessels. seems more space efficient than carboys. and i was thinking a bead of silicone on each side.

Sounds like it would be next to impossible to keep sanitary and difficult to maintain fermentation temperatures. Also as far as space efficiency the volume of an object is what it is I do not see this as being 'space efficient' but that's my opinion.

This sounds like a nightmare to clean, use and keep sanitary, in addition to the potential leaching. Maybe vittles vaults would be more space saving.

alright well i was just looking for that info but i guess it was just a thought. i was just thinking instead of having 9 carboys having one big thing that combines em. i just dont see how it'd be hard to clean. oxyclean and ball valves in the bottom. but i guess with the responses i've gotten i should just let it go.

Latest posts

Back