Oxygenation System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cee3

Reaction score
Anyone use what MoreBeer calls "Oxygenation Partial System?" Comes with the regulator, tube, filter and stone. I just used it for the first time and kind of expected a more vigorous release of oxygen than I saw. I'm thinking it's the diffusion stone and the filter that keep the release of air slower. Is that how it's supposed to be?

Oxygen isn't very easily soluble, and it likes to bubble up to the top and just release into the atmosphere. This is the reason for the diffusion stone: it breaks the oxygen into smaller bubbles and increases the absorption rate. No, it's not very vigorous, but if you were to take the stone off, it would be. I've seen someone use that setup without the stone before, and it looks like you would expect---big bubbles, very vigorous. Unfortunately for them, it's less-effective AND it wastes oxygen.

So, yes, that's how it's supposed to be.

In my lab I use glass fibres to disperse gasses that need to be bubbled though solutions. But this might not be such a good idea in something you intend to consume...

How do you fellas clean your diffusion stones after using them?

How do you fellas clean your diffusion stones after using them?

I just rinse them off with warm water immediately after use, then soak them in starsan for a few minutes before drying.

As far as I know, the big no-no when it comes to those stones is not to touch them with your skin. The natural oils can clog the holes.

Ok, reviving this thread for a couple of quick questions...

I just noticed that the The regulator is left hand thread, so that means it twists on opposite from normal threads, correct? (If so, that would explain why I couldn't get the regulator installed yesterday :eek: )

Second question, If you run the Oxygen for 1-2 minutes per batch, how many batches do you get from one tank? Also, where do you dispose them? Does Home Depot/Lowes have a recycling program for these?

The disposable O2 bottles should also be left-hand thread and your regulator should thread onto it.

As for batches per bottle, I used to get 4 or 5. YMMV. And don't forget to remove the regulator from the bottle when you are not using it. Otherwise, you may find an empty O2 bottle next time. Even if the regulator's valve is shut off, there will be leakage.

For disposal, I take mine to our county's hazardous waste disposal site, along with used paint and household chemicals. You will need to check your local facilities to see what goes where. But you could call Home Despot and Lowe's to see if they take them.

Back