Jamil's Irish Red - 500L Roasted Barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seabrew8

Reaction score
The recipe calls for 6oz of 300L Roasted Barley. I assume cutting this in half - 3oz - with 500L roasted barley would be a reasonable alternative?

I only have the 500L stuff.

I also have Briess Pilsen light DME. I'm new to the brewing software and seems i can't unzip anything on this PC.

Can i adjust anything to account for the fact i'm not using english pale ale?

I just listened to Jamil's podcast on this recipe about 4 hours ago. H answered this exact question.

Basically, no, you need to use English..to stay with style...as the English malting process is different and adds the correct malt flavor. At least that's what Jamil says :D

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Jamil-Show/Irish-Red-Ale-The-Jamil-Show-05-05-08

http://s125483039.onlinehome.us/archive/Jamil05-05-08.mp3

I've been listening to it now for a hour or so. :mug:

They do talk alot of nonsense though..

I've been listening to it now for a hour or so. :mug:

They do talk alot of nonsense though..

Yes, they do. It's kinda...annoying at times... I think that's why I like Basic Brewing radio so much, they are about 90% on topic.

basicbrewingradio.com

Basically, no, you need to use English..to stay with style...as the English malting process is different and adds the correct malt flavor. At least that's what Jamil says :D]

I have lots of respect for Jamil and love his shows. But we need to understand that in these podcasts he's basically explaining how to make these beers to style to do well in BJCP competitions. The OP can still use the Pilsen light extract and make wonderful beer. Will it be "to style"? Maybe, depends on the judge... Some BJCP judges don't know the difference between an Irish Red and a Flanders Red. If Pilsen is what is laying around and it is a pain or costs too much money to use the English the Pilsen will be just fine.

Is it ideal to use the English? Yes. Is it required? No.

Either way the OP is still making beer. :mug:

I have lots of respect for Jamil and love his shows. But we need to understand that in these podcasts he's basically explaining how to make these beers to style to do well in BJCP competitions. The OP can still use the Pilsen light extract and make wonderful beer. Will it be "to style"? Maybe, depends on the judge... Some BJCP judges don't know the difference between an Irish Red and a Flanders Red. If Pilsen is what is laying around and it is a pain or costs too much money to use the English the Pilsen will be just fine.

Is it ideal to use the English? Yes. Is it required? No.

Either way the OP is still making beer. :mug:

You are very correct. It is still beer. If the OP want to make it with Pilsen, I'd drink it.

Yeah, i'm not too worried about variation. I was just wondering if i could do something to make it more "english".

I just went ahead using the pilsner.

Back