Any recipe feedback?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 103238

Reaction score
Tomorrow I'm going to brew up the West Coast Blaster California Red Ale from Brewing Classic Styles. It'll be an all-grain BIAB. I'm going to have to make some slight substitutions so I thought I'd out it out for some collective feedback. Below is the base recipe with my intended modifications:

OG: 1.067
FG: 1.015
ADF: 76%
IBU: 66
Color: 16 SRM
Alcohol: 6.8% ABV
Boil: 60 minutes
Pre-boil volume: 7 gallons
Pre-boil gravity: 1.057
Mash: 152 degrees

Malt
12.25 lbs British pale malt - I will instead be using 2 row
1 lb Munich malt

Steeping Grains
1 lb Crystal 40
.5 lb Crystal 120
.5 lb Victory
3 ozs pale chocolate malt 200 - I could only find chocolate 350 so will probably bump that down to 2 ozs

Hops
1.1 oz Horizon 60 minutes - will be substituting with Magnum
1 oz Cascade 10 minutes
1 oz Centennial 10 minutes
1 oz Cascade 0 minutes
1 oz Centennial 0 minutes

Yeast:
Calls for 1056 or 05. I have both, plus a recently harvested 05 to use.

I'm hoping for something that is Believer-esque, so I'm considering upping the crystal additions by about 10-20%. Thoughts? This is my first time really going outside of the recipe guidelines, so I would appreciate any feedback that would prevent me from straying too far from my intended goal. Thanks in advance!

I like to FWH with Centennial in my Believer-esque ale. If you have enough Centennial, I'd go with that instead of the Magnum. Think you have plenty of crystal already.

Speaking of Believer, I need to start making trips to Eugene. Was talking to one of the Ninkasi guys at a festival here in Central Oregon recently, and he was telling me how they retire homebrewers with their $50 corny fills.

Thanks Mongrel, appreciate the feedback.

I do have plenty of Centennial - should I replace it 1:1?

Will the FWH replace the 60 minute, or is that in addition to?

Wow - $50 corny fills of Ninkasi is hard to beat!!

Mongrel said:
I like to FWH with Centennial in my Believer-esque ale. If you have enough Centennial, I'd go with that instead of the Magnum. Think you have plenty of crystal already.

Speaking of Believer, I need to start making trips to Eugene. Was talking to one of the Ninkasi guys at a festival here in Central Oregon recently, and he was telling me how they retire homebrewers with their $50 corny fills.

I wouldn't go 1:1 unless your AA's match up. You'll get a hint more IBU's out of a FWH than you would get from a standard bittering addition, but yeah, it replaces the bittering additoin.

Back