Light to indicate ssr closed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redman67

Reaction score
has anyone figured out how to light an indicator light only when the ssr is closed
Thanks

has anyone figured out how to light an indicator light only when the ssr is closed
Thanks

Better than that you can have a light that comes on only when the heater is actually drawing current. Buy or make a current transformer and wire it to a LED. If you make your current transformer you will have to experiment some.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the light would be on all the time from the leakage current through the ssr

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the light would be on all the time from the leakage current through the ssr

Depends on which idea proposed here is implemented. With a current transformer the leakage current on the LED side of the transformer will be too small to light the LED. With a LED connected across the heater terminals you have in series a relatively high impedance (the off resistance of the SSR) in series with the low resistance of the heater and the heater in parallel with the series combination of a pretty high resistance and the LED. Most of the leakage current will flow through the heater. If the heater is unplugged then whether the LED lights or not depends on the relative resistances of the SSR and the resistor in the LED assembly.

Depends on which idea proposed here is implemented. With a current transformer the leakage current on the LED side of the transformer will be too small to light the LED. With a LED connected across the heater terminals you have in series a relatively high impedance (the off resistance of the SSR) in series with the low resistance of the heater and the heater in parallel with the series combination of a pretty high resistance and the LED. Most of the leakage current will flow through the heater. If the heater is unplugged then whether the LED lights or not depends on the relative resistances of the SSR and the resistor in the LED assembly.

You can fix the problem of the LED lighting when the element is not plugged in by putting a 7.5 Kohm to 10 Kohm, 10 W resistor in parallel with the LED. This will shunt enough of the leakage current to keep the LED from turning on. This will reduce your element power by 6 to 8 W, but insignificant in the scheme of things. Larger resistor values may work as well depending on your LED.

Brew on :mug:

Or by putting an external resistor in series with the LED assembly. This will, of course dim the LED somewhat during normal use.

Then there was the fellow here who decided not to fix this 'problem' but rather feature it.

LED out = system energized, SSR not gated, heater connected or system not energized
LED dim = system energized, SSR not gated, heater not connected
LED bright = system energized, SSR gated

Individual choice, but I cannot see being so bothered by the LED being illuminated when the element is not plugged in, and working fine when the element is plugged in and providing a load, that I would feel a need to "fix" it. :)

Latest posts

Back