Small scale force carbonate for experiments?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackheart

Reaction score
We are brewing 5 gallon batches right now, and 10 gallon AG shortly as soon as our system is completed. We want to experiment as much as possible by splitting batches up in separate fermentors.

For example, we brewed a porter, we want to make it a coffee porter, we could just throw some coffee in and hope for the best but thats over a months worth of waiting just for one experiment.

We have a local coffee roaster who is willing to roast us whatever we need and would would like to experiment with different amounts of coffee and types. This means making a 5 gal batch and splitting it up into lets say 1gallon glass jugs/growlers. I have seen people make mead and small batches of beers in these 1gallon glass jugs so I know that we can easily put a stopper and airlock to use as a primary or secondary fermentor to test out dry hopping, coffee, or yeast strains.

Here is the issue we are having. We want to force carbonate to speed up the process of testing. What type of container can hold ~1 gallon of beer at pressure enough to carbonate it?

The only idea we have come up with so far is to use 2L soda bottles and use the special (~$14) cap which has a ball-lock gas fitting on it to pressurize it. Assuming it could handle the pressure needed.

I know other people must be dividing up batches and testing at a small scale. How is everyone else handling carbonation?

Just to be clear, natural carbonation is not an option as we want to control carbonation levels etc.

I would go with the carbonator cap on top of a 3 Liter bottle. That will put you closer to the 1 gallon mark. 2 2-Liter bottles for each 1 gallon batch would be about perfect.

yeah, I dont think 3L bottles have the same size cap. if a 5gal batch is 19L, and we assume we lose a liter to transfer, 18L, thats 9x 2L bottles. Thats not that bad... but we need 9x $15 caps to carb with... I was hoping for a 1 gal carb solution.

If I'm not mistaken, you can chill it with a normal cap on it, put on the carbonator cap, pressurize and shake the shizzle out of it, then take off the carbonator cap, and put the regular cap back on.

If you cap on foam, you won't have any O2 in there....if it doesn't foam much when you take off the carbonator, either smack it, put the cap on loosely and turn on it's side for a second, or give a quick squirt of starsan or boiled water out of a water sprayer...it'll foam like a sunuvafemaledog then.

Or, pour your 1 gal out of your container into a keg. Carbonate the keg, (shakey shakey), use the BMBF to bottle.

No problems with the Carbonator cap and 2L bottles. I've run them up to 60 psi.

Rumor has it that 128 Fizzies in a 2L bottle will cause an explosion, but 64 will not.

We didn't think about that! thats a good idea.... use only a few of the carbonator caps and switch them around with regular caps!

Has anyone had success using $15-$20 plastic carbonation caps? I'm seeing a lot of reviews on amazon saying they leak.

Back