All I wanted to do was rack some beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
It's never that easy, is it? For those who thing it's only them who have rough days at the brew house...

I have two beers I wanted to rack to kegs tonight. In order to do that I first had to rebuild my kegs from Midwest, which they had forgotten to rebuild.

Keg #1 was no trouble. Only managed to cut myself on the steel once.

On keg #2 the Liquid OUT post was difficult to unscrew. When I got it off there were metal filings under the post - it had been cross threaded at some point. No big deal, I thought, it still held pressure, right?

I got all the kegs back together and pressurized. Keg #3 leaked through the gas in poppet. There is a nick in the metal that's preventing it from sealing. No problem, that could have been my fault, as they were shipped pressurized.

Here's the real problem: the Liquid OUT post on keg #2 does not allow the black quick connect to snap onto it. I tried every black and grey quick connect I have (thinking I might have mixed the posts up) and none of them fit.

So I thought I'd just use the Liquid OUT post from keg #3, but that one doesn't fit on keg #2.

So now I have two out of three kegs that I can't use. I definitely need at least one Gas IN and Liquid OUT post and poppet, but I don't know if the threads on keg #2 are clean enough to take the new post properly.

I gave up on kegs #2 and 3 and went to rack my Apricot wheat into working keg #1. I used the closed transfer method I had used for my last beer. Autosiphon in the carboy connected to the Liquid OUT post, with a quick connect on the Gas IN post to vent. I remembered at the last second to put in the apricot flavoring :drunk:

All went fine for the first 1/3 of the beer. Then a chunk of trub got sucked up and the siphon stopped. I pumped the autosiphon a few times and it was not going anywhere - I could force some beer in but no siphon and there's a lot of backpressure.

So now I have to break the thing down, sanitize a long hose, pull the lid off the keg and siphon directly in. Thankfully, the rest of it went uneventfully. Hit the beer with 15psi, purged the headspace, hung a tag on it and put it away.

My stout sits in the fermenter until I hear back from Midwest about the rest of the kegs. Which probably isn't a bad thing for it ;)

-Joe

Here ya, i had a over eventfull brew day myself, overflowing sinks, efficiency, grain mill. hmm where to end.
I need a beer

Back