Survey for AG Brewers: Fly or Batch Sparge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a hybrid method:
I drain my mash tun an put first runnings on the stove to heat and set profile. Then fill tun with enought water to get my grainbed to mashout temp, recirc, then start running that off. While I'm draining I top off mash tun with remaining sparge water as needed until desired volum is reached. I've got up 89% eff with this method without a hint of astringency (I do acidify my spare water).

Steelers77 said:
I use a hybrid method:
I drain my mash tun an put first runnings on the stove to heat and set profile. Then fill tun with enought water to get my grainbed to mashout temp, recirc, then start running that off. While I'm draining I top off mash tun with remaining sparge water as needed until desired volum is reached. I've got up 89% eff with this method without a hint of astringency (I do acidify my spare water).

I like this a lot

I batch sparge. My efficiency sucks (like 65%) but I think it has to do with the crush of the grain since it dropped when I moved and started going to a new LHBS.

JeffS said:
I batch sparge. My efficiency sucks (like 65%) but I think it has to do with the crush of the grain since it dropped when I moved and started going to a new LHBS.

That's not that bad you just have to figure for it. Pretty typically for LHBS crush it seems.

Batch first, now have moved on to BIAB, although not convinced that I won't go back to batch.

Fly ? I don't think it's good to have flies in beer. :D

Fly sparge here, the pumps do all the work. Although I originally did it with gravity and enjoyed that too.

Fly. Because it is what I learned to do first. But, I am going to start batch sparging: 1. I am moving up to 10 gallon batches and 2. I need to try and maximize my time. I sure love my kids, but it is really hard to find time to brew!!! Priorities, priorities...

double batch sparge. Seemed like the easiest way for my setup and just haven't changed. I've got so much equipment laying around my house I think a fly sparge arm would just be another thing to worry about.

double batch sparge. Seemed like the easiest way for my setup and just haven't changed. I've got so much equipment laying around my house I think a fly sparge arm would just be another thing to worry about.

sparge arm is not needed. Just setup a tube in the mash tun.

IMG_5230.jpg

a lot of us do this....

Batch in my 36 quart mashtun. Our group equipment is setup for fly sparging, and one other bigger system could do fly, but we usually just batch it. In my experience, fly takes more effort and oversight.

I do batch with my current setup, but if/when I get around to building a 10g brew system I will probably move to fly. For now, my mash tun sets up on a table in my garage. The kettle is on the floor. To do fly means getting a vessel elevated over my mash tun or pumping liquid. I know I am losing some efficiency with the way I am sparging, but that doesn't really trouble me. What does trouble me is the idea that I might somehow be not getting the clearest wort possible into my kettle, even though I vorlauf.

Fly sparge. I get the sparge water up to temp while I am vorlauffing sp? When it runs clear I siphon he water from the hlt through a siphon hose resting on top of the grain and open the outflow valve. One thing I learned is you need a stainless racking cane and a really cheap plastic clamp.

I do both, sometimes I'll even do a combo-1 batch then fly sparge to finish. I've never noticed any difference at all in the quality of the beer, but then it's always really tough to say one beer tasted better than another because{name your reason}. It's like drinking half a batch of RIS young and aging the other half. By the time it's aged can you really honestly compare it to the fresh batch?
When I brew with massive grain bills I'll batch sparge so that the grain bed doesn't get too compacted and seal off. Moderate-small grain bills usually get fly sparged so I can leave it alone and do things like eat lunch.

Gravity Fly for me.

I find it easy and almost brainless to fly. I have my rig set up with a really simple sparge arm (just dribbles water at the top of the mash) and it's cake to set that flow rate the same as the drain to the boil keggle. Set, forget, check every 15 minutes or so. . .

It's also what I was taught, although that was the pitcher/drain method. . . this is sooo much easier.

Back