AHA Membership

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you a member of the American Homebrewer's Association?

• Yes. I currently have a membership.

• No but my intentions are to join.

• Not yet. I haven't made up my mind.

• No. I will not join the AHA.

Results are only viewable after voting.

RichBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was curious about how many folks are members of the American Homebrewers Association.
Currently I'm not a member but I'm contemplating it. I was a member back in the late nineties primarily for Zymurgy magazine and for the discount to the Great American Beer Festival.

I say why not, you get Zymurgy magazine, which IMHO, is better than BYO. Plus it pays for itself if you use the pub discount 3 or 4 times.

How much is it for a year? How often does Zymurgy come out?

TxBrew said:
How much is it for a year? How often does Zymurgy come out?
It's $38.00 per year and I think there are six issues of Zymurgy a year. Sounds a little steep to me.

http://www.beertown.org/homebrewing/index.html

EDIT: Here is what you get for a membership

U.S. Memberships $38/1 yr $68/2 yr $97/3 yr
FAMILY MEMBERSHIP $43
Zymurgy Magazine
Delivered six times a year to your door! The best keeps getting better. We've just redesigned! Now the magazine is full color, with more stories, fun brewing news all by the industry's top brewing authors. More detail...

AHA TechTalk Email Forum
This email brewing forum is dedicated to technical talk on beer and nothing else. You'll find friends you never knew you had! The forum has over 4,000 participants that include our very own Brewers Publications authors. Sign up by sending an email to [email protected] stating you wish to be added to the list. Please include your membership ID number. More detail...

Pub Discount Program
This awesome program lets AHA members receive discounts on food, merchandise and/or beer at participating pubs across the U.S. 10-25% savings. Your savings can PAY for your membership. More than 240 participating breweries, brewpubs and retailers. Good times and big $avings!! More detail...

Book Discounts
The Brewers Association has its own book publishing division. AHA members save on the NEW and special book offerings!
Special Event Discounts
Perks perks perks! AHA members receiving special pricing for the exclusive Connoisseur Tasting session at the Great American Beer Festival! More than 1,300 beers from 300 breweries! More detail...
Members enjoy a discount when they participate in our National Homebrew Competition. If you want to have a LOT of FUN attend our National Homebrewers Conference and enjoy a great discount and good times! More detail...

I am only a member to get the magazine. I think Zymurgy has changed over the years. It is a much better publication than it once was. Well worth the money.

Lou said:
why can't i see the list of participating establishments for the pub discount...?
I can't get it to work either. I'm not overly impressed with their web site. I am going to attempt to contact them.

The pub discount list has quite a few participants in each state, but it doesn't seem to be much of an incentive for most people. The participants seem to be in larger cities. Of course, I carry my membership card in my wallet just in case.:mug:

The only place in NY metro area for the pub discount is Brooklyn Brewery. Though they have great stuff there, 1 free beer a week and a 10% discount on cases is not worth it for me.

I just joined, mainly for Zymurgy. I picked it up and was very impressed. I like it better than BYO so far. I do have a few brewpubs by me where the discount can come in handy. If I don't feel it's worth it I won't renew it... :)

I've asked about the AHA discount at brewpubs that arn't on the list and 9 times out of ten they will give me 10% off.

The Home Brewers Association is sending me a list of the pubs that honor the discount. When I get it I will figure out a way to post it here.

I was really surprised that data wasn't on the website. If I don't know which pubs will honor the discount, why the hell would I pony up the $40 or whatever for a membership?

Ah, don't know why I couldn't find it.

Still, only one place anywhere in my neck of the woods (CH Evans Brewing Co. in Albany). Want to make it there, but since I've go out to eat in Albany perhaps once or twice a year, can't see how it would pay for itself!

Kinda surprised that some of the local brewpubs that I *do* frequent with more regularity in MA aren't on the list...

the_bird said:
Ah, don't know why I couldn't find it.

Still, only one place anywhere in my neck of the woods (CH Evans Brewing Co. in Albany). Want to make it there, but since I've go out to eat in Albany perhaps once or twice a year, can't see how it would pay for itself!

Kinda surprised that some of the local brewpubs that I *do* frequent with more regularity in MA aren't on the list...
Sounds more and more to me that zymurgy is the biggest reason to join.

Old thread I know, but relevant to me b/c I've been kicking around the idea of joining AHA. Judging from this thread and the website the main "perks" are the pub discount and the magazine. I just don't know if that is enough to pay $36 (at my LHBS). I'd like to get behind the club that supports homebrewing from a legal standpoint, but I'd rather spend my $36 on equipment that I want. And I think in the Green Bay area the only discount is Old Chicago & only 10%. OC is good pizza/beer selection, but don't frequent there enough. The magazine seems okay but I already get BYO and I think when that runs out I am going to stop. I get most of my information from here or books. So I think if I am going to join anything at the moment, it would be a local club or even the premium membership here.

I recently joined. I don't get BYO although I do get a couple other beer magazines (All About Beer and Draft) but I am going to let one drop off when the subscription ends since I will start getting Zymurgy. The pub discount is probably where you're going to make a lot of the membership price back, assuming you have places nearby or places you travel to with good discount. Around me the only decent discount is at BJ's (but there is one a few blocks away) but I don't go enough to really make the money back. However, I am visiting Colorado next month and there are crazy discounts there so just in the five days I'll be in town I will probably make back half or more of the membership cost.

Like so many affinity organizations/associations, if you do your own individual cost/benefit it probably won't pay. If everybody made these decisions that way, public and community broadcasters couldn't exist. You have to factor in what the organizations do for the affinity group's interests through lobbying, education, promotion, et cetera, and whether you're willing to pay a pittance to allow them to continue to exist. Fortunately, many decide to do just that.

My biggest gripe with AHA is that the annual conference can never accommodate nearly as many members as would like to go. I think that's a real disservice to the membership and I hope it changes.

Like so many affinity organizations/associations, if you do your own individual cost/benefit it probably won't pay. If everybody made these decisions that way, public and community broadcasters couldn't exist. You have to factor in what the organizations do for the affinity group's interests through lobbying, education, promotion, et cetera, and whether you're willing to pay a pittance to allow them to continue to exist. Fortunately, many decide to do just that.

Yeah, I haven't joined yet, but I probably will before the year is out. I go out drinking fairly infrequently, so the discounts don't matter that much to me. The mag, I'd read it but I've never gone out of my way to buy an issue.

Really, it's being able to provide some financial support to the organization that's most prominently fighting on our behalf. I'm not that worried about laws getting changed against homebrewing in MA, but I'd like to support our brewing brothers + sisters down in Alabama and in other places where the ability to legally homebrew is either not present or much more tenuous.

I had subscriptions to both Zymurgy and BYO. When my AHA membership ended I just didn't see the point in rejoining. I get the same information and then some here. Mags just kept piling up. I re-upped on BYO because of the gift subscription thing, but honestly, I just don't see the need to get more magazines.

The AHA has other benefits, and I like that they have discounts at participating LHBSs, but I never remember to use it anyway.

I probably should rejoin and contribute some $$ to the cause. They help lobby for homebrewers' rights and have been instrumental in loosening up some very restrictive laws in some places. That's probably the biggest reason to join IMO.

I had subscriptions to both Zymurgy and BYO. When my AHA membership ended I just didn't see the point in rejoining. I get the same information and then some here. Mags just kept piling up. I re-upped on BYO because of the gift subscription thing, but honestly, I just don't see the need to get more magazines.

The AHA has other benefits, and I like that they have discounts at participating LHBSs, but I never remember to use it anyway.

I probably should rejoin and contribute some $$ to the cause. They help lobby for homebrewers' rights and have been instrumental in loosening up some very restrictive laws in some places. That's probably the biggest reason to join IMO.

That's kind of my thoughts exactly at the moment. I feel magazines are piling up and I don't reference them alot. Discounts are average at best for my location. But I feel I should maybe help the cause. My hardest thing is do I spend my money on the org or use for something like a Stir Starter...? I'd opt for the equipment.

I downloaded their beginner beer making guide and they sent me a code to get a free copy of How To Brew, for joining AHA. Between that and the pub discounts I more than broke even.

FYI - The Dam Brewery (Dillon, CO) offers 15% off your entire bill with AHA. We had a group of 7 and 15% off was almost the cost of the membership by itself. :)

My biggest gripe with AHA is that the annual conference can never accommodate nearly as many members as would like to go. I think that's a real disservice to the membership and I hope it changes.

They should do a East and West show - or even 3 shows. Seems obvious to me. Demand is there.

They should do a East and West show - or even 3 shows. Seems obvious to me. Demand is there.

One in the spring, one in the fall. Alternate every other year and put one of shows in the middle of the country. I imaging the Conference is a huge thing for them to put together, but I've got to imagine it's a profit center for them as well.

The fact that they have digitized previous issues of zymurgy makes it WELL WORTH the money. There is a lot of info at your finger tips. That is much more than BYO provides me.

I still love byo, but wish they would digitize their magazine as well.

I became a member as a Christmas gift from my sister in law for the past two years. I like what they do for the world of homebrewing, but I also really like the early ticket sales for the GABF as they sell out faster every year. I also like the idea of the members only session at the GABF.

Use the discount at Iron Hill - Lancaster, which is 20% off the entire bill. I am a mugger there, and it's 10 minutes away, so we use it a lot. DEFINITELY worth it for IH and Zymurgy.

I am. Makes sense for me because our monthly homebrew club meeting is a participating brew pub.

Huh. There's only one pub (participating in the discount program) within a 90-minute drive for me. A couple places out in Watkins Glen, where we spend some time, but nothing even remotely local. Only four places (total) in Massachusetts, which would be approximately 0.0000001% of the brewpubs in this state.

The fact that they have digitized previous issues of zymurgy makes it WELL WORTH the money. There is a lot of info at your finger tips. That is much more than BYO provides me.

I still love byo, but wish they would digitize their magazine as well.

I was surprised that no one mentioned 1) eZymurgy or 2) NHC yet.

Those are the two best things about the AHA, oh that and the fact that they keep comps and transporting beer legal in my states (KS, MO & IL).

This reminds me I need to join, been plaing to for many moons, but just keep procrastinating. It cost the same as a bout one batch of beer and will help insure I get to keep brewing. Zymergy and pub discounts are just gravy.

I was surprised that no one mentioned 1) eZymurgy or 2) NHC yet.

It was brought up 6 years ago. ;)

Members enjoy a discount when they participate in our National Homebrew Competition. If you want to have a LOT of FUN attend our National Homebrewers Conference and enjoy a great discount and good times! More detail...

And a few other times...

Great idea.

One in the spring, one in the fall. Alternate every other year and put one of shows in the middle of the country. I imaging the Conference is a huge thing for them to put together, but I've got to imagine it's a profit center for them as well.

Back