Thinking about getting a Freezer instead of buying a kegerator.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiako

Reaction score
I was about to buy this kegerator for 300 but found out Danby's are pretty bad. I already have a temperature regulator. I suppose modding a freezer would be the best way to go right? They seem cheaper than buying a mini fridge. I assume I would be able to turn it up far enough to ferment my carboy in?

You might also look at Craig's list for a really cheap or even free old fridge or freezer.

I've always operated from the approach of: what do I have room for? If you don't know what all you could do with various fridge or freezer setups, look around the forums--- there are LOTS of really creative ideas people have posted.

Yeah if you have the room, I would def. get a freezer. Basically all you can do with a small fridge is pack 2 cornies in it. But with a freezer you can lager, store hops/yeast, multiple kegs and a CO2 tank depending on the size and of course keep your bottles cold.

I made my 4-tap kegerator (keezer) from a Frigidaire 7.2 cu. ft. freezer and am very happy with it. I'd choose it over a fridge any day.

Yeah I bought it. I wish I would have checked the onboard themorstat before I bought it. I almost shorted it out when I was trying to fix it. But now it works duct taped on lol..

Does anyone know if some of these Freezers will go up to about 40 without a regulator?

I'd go with what you're thinking man. I have a danby and i'm not really impressed with it. It does the job, but temp control has really been a pain in the a$$.

Bigger in this case is better!!I have a mini fridge for lack of room an I can fit 2 corneys or 1 corney and 1 carboy. If u got the room bigger is better in my opp.

Latest posts

Back