Mixing yeasts???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New-B-Brewer

Reaction score
I just recd the ingredients today for an IPA I hope to brew Monday. When I went to put the yeast in the refridge I found a packet of yeast that has been in there for a couple months. I think it should be viable. The one in my fridge is a Brit Ale and the one I just bought is a Brit Ale 2.
In a strange twist, I will out of town Fri, Sat and Sun until late so I really won't be able to make a proper starter. So, would it be ok to pitch both yeasts? I know this if fine if you are pitching 2 packets of the same yeast, but what about pitching two different types of yeast?

According to what I have read both yeasts will start fermenting out, but eventually one yeast will win out over the other and take over the fermentation process.. Kind of a survival of the fittest scenario...

I had done the something similar with one of my brews and got OK results, but in the long run I think I wasted my money and would have been better off pitching a starter made from one yeast, or just pitching one package of Wyeast activator..

Frank

You'll be fine. I pitch two different types of yeast for a few of my house brews and it works out great. Sort of like a little bit of both worlds.

+1 you'll be fine. I just made an ten gallon imperial stout with WLP Dry English and WLP001 California. Made a starter for the dry english and pitched the california from the vial.

A few months ago I brewed 10 gallons and I thought I had enough Nottingham... but I didn't. So I added bread yeast to the Notty I did have, and it turned out fine.

A few months ago I brewed 10 gallons and I thought I had enough Nottingham... but I didn't. So I added bread yeast to the Notty I did have, and it turned out fine.

I would never recommend using bread yeast for beer. It just isn't right.

Back