Can anyone help me confirm these numbers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kds1398

Reaction score
Source:
http://portal.delaware.gov/waterquality/ccr/DE0000564.pdf

Ranges based on the above source:
total hardness 62-157
alkalinity 38-140 ppm
calcium 43-110 ppm
magnesium 19-47 ppm
sodium - 0-22 ppm
chloride 36-278 ppm
sulfate 0-30ppm
Residual alkalinity 23-101 ppm
PH: 6.7-7.7

Are the ranges even helpful, or do I need to contact the water company & ask for the averages?

Are the ranges I listed correct looking?

Those ranges are so wide that they aren't very useful. See if you can find out what water sources they use during what times of the year, and get the values for each of the sources. Otherwise, I'd use distilled or RO water and build it up yourself.

ArcaneXor said:
Those ranges are so wide that they aren't very useful. See if you can find out what water sources they use during what times of the year, and get the values for each of the sources. Otherwise, I'd use distilled or RO water and build it up yourself.

If I sent the water to be tested at wardlabs or somewhere similar where I can get specific numbers, could I use those reliably or do you think the variance over time would be too great?

You need to talk to the water supplier and find out why there is so much variation. I suspect, given they are so wide, that it is because they obtain water from several sources and blend them. If this is done on a more or less regular basis (i.e. seasonal) then you may have some hope of being able to work with them. Clearly, you will drop a lot at Ward Labs if you need another analysis each time you brew.

Other approaches are measure the water yourself. Calcium, magensium and alkalinity are easy, chloride fairly easy and sodium and sulfate difficult.

A more reasonable approach is, given that you can't figure out at any given moment what the chemistry of your tap water is, to not use it i.e. install an RO system or buy RO water and add minerals as necessary.

What part of DE are you in? I'm in Newark and have been considering using our city water so I'd be interested in anything you find out if it's a nearby area. I've been using my parent's well water or bottled water so far but city water would be much easier.

stageseven said:
What part of DE are you in? I'm in Newark and have been considering using our city water so I'd be interested in anything you find out if it's a nearby area. I've been using my parent's well water or bottled water so far but city water would be much easier.

Wilmington. I've been happy with most all of my brews, but i just decided it was time to start playing a bit to make some small enhancements.

Back