Did I just waste my money on BMC swill!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnaratil

Reaction score
So me and the wifey bought a kegerator and it has been stocked with east coast micro brew deliciousness since its purchase. We have a ball exploring beers. Well she loves the wheat beers and the local distributor had a sixtel of Blue Moon Belgian White ($63 bucks). So I figured what the heck I'll give it a try again. I knew it was a Coors product but I figured it was a small division of Coors where it actually might be good. WRONG! This stuff tastes like Keystone Light with some orange zest in it. It looks like cloudy Coors light and has a 10 second head. The smell is nice but is followed by Coors stink. I even cranked up the PSI and am running it as close to freezing to try and change it. I hoping tonight the beginning of my vacation some supernatural crap happened in that keg. Its like everything Coors touches has a remaining stink to it. Like the tanks that brewed Coors Light weren't cleaned right before the batch of Blue Moon.

I COULD of GOT A FREAKING GREAT IPA FOR $5 MORE DAMN!!!!!

RANT OVER

Is this a bad batch or is it all like this? I remember it tasted good, but I also drank BMCs as a go to beer back then.

Recently I had a party and someone played a cruel joke on me. They left 4 six packs of Leinenkugel's honey wheat and berry something. Man this stuff is horrendous, I cannot believe they even sell it, worse than Sam Adams fruit beers. I invited my fiancés friends, I offered one to them to see if they would like it and they happened to love it. They all got drunk and I got the space in my fridge to fill with good beer.

Regardless you’re still out the money you put in. Invite some people over to kill that thing.

I don't mind Blue Moon so much personally. It's not a great beer IMO, but I have had far far worse beer made by craft brewers. Obviously there is a large part of subjectivity here. Some people think Pliny is Gods gift to beer, and others think it is piss. I brewed a blue moon clone, and I personally prefer it to actual Blue Moon. Fresh ingredients plays a huge part in this though. I don't drink BMC in general, but if it has to be BMC I would prefer Blue Moon over almost anything else.

I love Blue Moon! It's a nice AMERICAN WIT. My only complaint is that they call it a Belgian Wit, but don't use a belgian yeast.

But you know if you had brewed this up yourself, it would have cost about $15 and you could make it the way you want.

Maybe next time buy a bottle of Blue Moon for $1.50 and see if it's any good before buying a whole keg?

Maybe next time buy a bottle of Blue Moon for $1.50 and see if it's any good before buying a whole keg?

This is the best advice anyone can give you on beer. It's like buying a case instead of a 6 pack of beers you've never had before. Where I live we're lucky enough to be able to split up the 6 packs and get single bottles in certain shops (at a price increase) to be able to try new things. I would never buy a random keg of something I have never had.

This is the best advice anyone can give you on beer. It's like buying a case instead of a 6 pack of beers you've never had before. Where I live we're lucky enough to be able to split up the 6 packs and get single bottles in certain shops (at a price increase) to be able to try new things. I would never buy a random keg of something I have never had.

I love mix and match 6 packs of craft brews for 7.99!

I filled a corny keg at the Michigan Brewing Co for a friend's dissertation defense party. As a crowd pleaser, I got Celis White, a beer I really don't care for that much. As the leftovers sat in the keg, it got worse and worse, until finally it was just undrinkable (12 psi and at 42F in my keg fridge).
These beers need to be abnormally cold and fizzy to taste good. Crank that pressure and drop the temp. Make a pot of Belgian Chicken Stew (I just made that up). Clear the keg and make space for something you like.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Home Brew Talk

The Demon was exorcised! Friggin Sunday morning coming down that's for sure. We didn't even drink that many and we were H bombed!

Victory Storm King Stout is now on order for winter.

I wonder if they changed the recipe?
My GF loves Blue Moon and I like it enough when in the mood for something light, so I made the clone for her. I did the recipe posted on here by Wayne1, who used to brew it at Coors back in the day apparently.
Last week we tasted mine side by side with a bottle of Blue Moon. Mine won. But I am writing bc the Blue Moon did just taste like a **** ton of fake orange. The bottle did not taste as good as I remembered it.

So congrats on killing the keg... Time for you to get a second tap on that bad boy, so you can have options!

Dang, I like Celis White even more than Blue Moon!

I think a keg of that costs like $45 at MBC...

Thanks to this thread, I have keg of Blue Balls fermenting in the closet now. (clone beer, not actually blue balls...)

Homercidal said:
Dang, I like Celis White even more than Blue Moon!

I think a keg of that costs like $45 at MBC...

Go on Wednesday and it is only $35.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Home Brew Talk

When I turned 21 a bunch of my friends took me to the Coors brewery for the tour. I don't drink Coors, I hate Coors, I couldn't even pretend to like Killians. Blue moon was my first Wheat beer... and it converted me to the wonders of liquid gold. Now days I would rather go back to the 9.99 12 packs of Session Lager I drank when I was 16 than pay for that stuff; but I still thank Coors just a little, for introducing me to my favorite style of beer.

Hmmmm the Celis White seems like something my wife would dig. Does it ship to the east coast in kegs I wonder?

Latest posts

Back