Juice in beersmith or the like

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkLoki357

Reaction score
My question is on the fermentables in different juices, I have been using the nutritional info on the sugar per serving to get the over all sugar for the amount of juice I am using. Now my question is that a good way of doing it to get a closer SG

Hi Darkloki, That's my starting metric. The nutritional information gives you a good idea of the likely SG by calculation. However, I will very likely measure the actual gravity to make a better determination how much sugar I want to add to bring the gravity up to the level that I want if I am to obtain the ABV that I am seeking. Most juices are likely to have a gravity of about 1.050 or thereabouts (about 1.25 lbs of sugar per gallon).. That will result in an ABV of about 6% if you did not want to add more sugar - so more like a cider (or strong beer) than a wine

The best way to do it is probably to put a hydrometer in it. I had some apple juice that I calculated the sg for then tested it and the test came to close to half of the calculated amount.

Ok was just trying to get a better idea of the juice before buying to make sure the place I am getting it from has best kind / type for value be it full juice or a juice syrup concentrate.

Back