Need advice, kit had wrong extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marx102

Reaction score
So just started pouring my extract into the kettle to make NB's American Rye Ale when I noticed it seemed awfully dark. Turns out it was dark malt extract instead of their rye extract.

I have a 2qt Wyeast 1056 starter.
I have 2 ounces each columbus and cascade.
I also have some Czech Saaz, Syrian goldings, hersbrucker, sterling and liberty.

So I'm think a dark hoppy American ale. Will it matter that I used no specialty grains? Will it be thin?

Any suggestions or thoughts?
Thanks

6 pounds
No grains, I had already starting adding the extract before I noticed.
I'm think about adding a lb of wheat DME. I have maltodextrin if that would benefit me in any way.

I also have 3lbs of munich extract that was given as a gift but am unsure how fresh it is.

Since you started pouring, make the beer with the dark extract. Do not add any malto-dextrin as the beer will probably be sweet anyway. If you want to add anything, maybe table sugar to dry it out a bit.

Dark extract is usually used for stouts and Porters so it will have some roast flavor.

Might turn out good.

Send a note to NB and tell them what happened. They should provide some compensation.

6 pounds is about right for the average gravity ale. A pound of the munich extract might be good for a little German flavor complexity. Hersbruker & Stirling hops sound good. I like stirling myself.

6 pounds is about right for the average gravity ale. A pound of the munich extract might be good for a little German flavor complexity. Hersbruker & Stirling hops sound good. I like stirling myself.

Since you started pouring, make the beer with the dark extract. Do not add any malto-dextrin as the beer will probably be sweet anyway. If you want to add anything, maybe table sugar to dry it out a bit.

Dark extract is usually used for stouts and Porters so it will have some roast flavor.

Might turn out good.

Send a note to NB and tell them what happened. They should provide some compensation.

I personally would add about half a pound of table sugar. My experience with dark extract is that it doesn't ferment as far as the lighter extracts. It would get you a lighter ale than a thick dark ale.

Back