Ferocious All-Grain Midwest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paddyfunk

Reaction score
DC Metro - Metro Blows Even Without Catoe
I just brewed this up a few weeks ago and have gotten a lot of positive reactions from the hop-inclined crowd. I went for a jog the day after drinking a couple of these guys and I swear I was sweating hops.

Midwest Ferocious Clone All-Grain

Ferocious IPA: LIMITED EDITION ALL GRAIN RECIPE KIT: Advanced Equipment and knowledge required to make this kit. Created with the brewers of Surly Brewing in Minnesota, this IPA uses 6 ounces of hops to create a bold brew that is rich in malt sweetness infused with bright hop flavor and aroma. Our ingredients for this recipe kit include 11 lbs. Golden Promise base malt, 1 lb. Munich 10°L, 4 oz. Medium Crystal 50-60°L, 1 oz. high-alpha bittering hops, 2 oz. Amarillo, 3 oz. Simcoe hops, priming sugar, and yeast. Yeast Upgrade Options: Wyeast British II Ale # 1335 or White Labs Dry English Ale Ale # 007

SG: 1.067
FG: 1.013

Nice carbonation, I let it hang out in the fridge for a solid week after 2 weeks of bottle conditioning. The Irish Moss really cleared things up. Cracking open the bottle was like shoving a handful of hops up my nose, it was almost too much. The aroma was grapefruit with a nice dry-hopped twang.

The taste was stunning. VERY hoppy, more so than most IIPA I have had nonetheless IPA's or APA's. Nice maltiness (I mashed at 153 since I like my beer a bit sweeter). Nice thick mouthfeel. It had a crisp but very grapefruity finish.

If we weren't heading into winter I would brew up another batch. VERY Unique.

I love Surly. I have only ever had the opportunity to have a couple of their beers a couple of times. I am just now getting back into brewing now that the kids are a little older, and I ordered this kit. However, I am a BIAB brewer. SO looking over the instructions looks like it wants you to use a total of 9 gallons of water (doing a typical single infusion mash and sparge), but with Biab (no sparge) does that volume seem a little high?

Back