Asian plum wine yeast recommendation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siletzspey

Reaction score
For yellow and yellow-red Asian plums (Shiro and Early Golden mix specifically), does anyone have a recommendation on what yeast to use?

For seemingly red-ish Asian plums, I see several RC-212 recommendations.

In the past I have tried EC-1118 and 71B-1122, but premature oxidation issues and poor note taking leave me wondering.

Two years ago I did just 71B with Asian plums (Shriro, Early Golden, Beauty mix) and then European plums (Victoria, Brooks, Seneca mix), and the Asian was very good, but the European only so-so. Last year I did 71B with an Asian + European mix, but the result was so-so. It "seems" Asian plums provide lots of bright aroma and tastes, while the European plums are comparatively bland.

--SiletzSpey

I'm using 71B, but this is my first attempt at Plum wine and I'm only making 2 gallons. Someone recommended Maurivin B yeast, but it's expensive and I couldn't buy it in small quantities.

I made some plum mead with Montrachet last year that turned out superb. I have Maurivin B and have used it. It will knock down your Malic Acid. I bought it from a Canadian supplier on the West coast for an affordable price.

Latest posts

Back