Serious study on yeast farts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Time till the wonderful yeast fart?

• I crapped my pants after 3 seconds

• I'm crapping my pants right now, I'll get back on it

• I farted immediately after my first bottle

• 15 minutes

• 30 minutes

• 1 hour

• 1 1/2 hours

• 2 hours

• 3 hours

• More (please specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Reaction score
OK, This is a SERIOUS study, which is the reason that I posted it in the esteemed scientific "Drunken carp" (misspelling intentional) Thread

A little story... Saturday, opened 1 litre of Homebrew bitter. For some unknown reason, I took note of the time I opened it. By te time I got to the end of the bottle, I had the idea to drink the sediment too, and time the period between starting the beer and the occorunce of the first yeast fart.

I was surprised by the results!! It turned out to be 2 hours and 40 minutes.... I was sat on the couch playing games on my laptop when I burst forth with a 4 second anus exhalation of pure genius......I immediately looked at my watch, and started to calculate the timing....

Wifey was not nearly as impressed as I was. She looked at me and said "Why couldn't you go to the bathroom to do that?....... And what's wrong with your watch?"

Anyways, it got me to wondering, what is it with yeast farts!?

If you take the time to help with the poll, please obey the rules.

a) You gotta drink the sediment
b) No cheating or guessing
c) mail me $5
d) Observe rule A

Sorry, this Gnome is impervious to yeasty beers. I think I have been drinking sediment and unfiltered beer for so long that my body has just adapted to it... :shrug:

However, tonight I will try the experiment and see.... just for scientific purposes ;)

Sorry no bottle conditioned beers here. However that does not stop me.

I could not say for sure. I am pretty much in a constant gaseous eruptus state.

:D

I'm always rippin 'em, so my participation would in this study would prove nothing.... but I'll drink some tonight anyway. :mug:

I'm still sticking to my guns that it's not neccisarily just yeast, but also more likely polysaccharides and oligosaccharides from homebrew that the natural yeasties and bacteria in your body have a heyday snacking on.

Yeast doesn't survive the stomach. The unfermented sugars in the beer get through and are then fermented in the gut. Hence the anal symphonies.

When Ifirst started home brewing, I wasn't aware of the ramifications of consuming the yeast, and therefore quite often didn't take the time to pour it into a glass.
One evening, my neighbor (who is now also a home brewer), his wife, SWMBO and I all sat in our yard, consuming about a case-and-a half of various beers that I had made.
Within an hour of working the next day, my partner refused to work with me, (keep in mind, we were working in a hallway, with plenty of ventilation) and I eventually wound up alienating about a dozen or more other people on the job that day.
It ain't easy offending construction workers with flatulance !

Leave it to the Laughing Gnome.... Now I wish I had some bottle conditioned to try this! I think the next poll should includ flavors (you ever smell something and kind of taste it?) hahaha :tank:

Yeast doesn't survive the stomach. The unfermented sugars in the beer get through and are then fermented in the gut. Hence the anal symphonies.

That can't be true. How do you think the flora came to be in your intestines in the first place?

When we go to homebrew club meetings, try as we might, we can't keep that sediment from getting mixed in during the tastings. Last meeting we sampled 27 different brews. Oh my, the winds the next morning. How is that for a 100th post?

That can't be true. How do you think the flora came to be in your intestines in the first place?

The flora in your gut is not the same as that in your brew. It's specially adapted to live in that environment. I wouldn't want to drink a beer that was fermented with that. Every time you raised the bottle to your mouth you'd see that round opening and think.....

The flora in your gut is not the same as that in your brew. It's specially adapted to live in that environment. I wouldn't want to drink a beer that was fermented with that. Every time you raised the bottle to your mouth you'd see that round opening and think.....

plus (my A&P is a little rusty) isn't it cultured in the gut and not something that swam through hydrochloric acid to get there?

Freaking killing me!!
This is a great thread. I'm thinking, with the OP's permission, to use this info for a school project for my son.
BTW, Im, clock work. Wake up, move, fart. SWMBO is amazed. She thinks I sleep with an air compressoer in my mouth.

Company called Melaluca provides us with what SWMBO calls the "Stay Married Pill". It is esentially the equivalent of 10 yogurt cups.

The little probiotics in there help further process the gas while still in the intestine. Result, I still fart like a huricane humpin Havana, but the odor is DRASTICALLY reduced. Taken before bed, it lasts until about 5:00am. I drink when I want, fart all night long, and she gets to sleep. Stayin married through better microbiology.

plus (my A&P is a little rusty) isn't it cultured in the gut and not something that swam through hydrochloric acid to get there?

That culture had to be inoculated somehow. ;) Think "Montezuma's Revenge" if you forget that things get past the guard of the stomach acid if in high enough concentration.

hmm... 9 homebrews yesterday, started when i started my boil. blasting away about time of yeast pitching. i say about 1.5 hours.
funny it is so quick tho, i have noticed this before.

that is with a careful pour.
i did not follow your rules, as i am not drinking homebrew tonight. school nights are for bourbon, or rum.
i have never **** myself from homebrew, and do not think i have shat upon my poor under garments in 30 years or so.
i hope you get your bowels under control.
carry on.

I'm still sticking to my guns that it's not neccisarily just yeast, but also more likely polysaccharides and oligosaccharides from homebrew that the natural yeasties and bacteria in your body have a heyday snacking on.

Oh cool, I'll make sure to watch out for them next time.

I thought yeast farts were what makes the airlock go click click click.

To make the perfect fart.
Ham hocks, navy beans, onions. Throw a beer on top of that and Honey, don't be lightin' any matches.

I thought yeast farts were what makes the airlock go click click click.

To make the perfect fart.
Ham hocks, navy beans, onions. Throw a beer on top of that and Honey, don't be lightin' any matches.

I'll top that. Tonight I'm making brats, with Sauerkraut w/ onins, apples, and bacon, and German fried potatoes. Wash all that down with a few homebrews (mostly Alt's), and I'm gonna have one smelly house tonight !!!

A guy I work with is lactose intolerant and eats things just to work up a good fart. Sometimes he gets a little carried away. We named that particular syndrome after him. Someone else on here called it the "gamble and lose". He keeps spare underwear in his locker for just such an occasion. Man, what a hobby.

A guy I work with is lactose intolerant and eats things just to work up a good fart. Sometimes he gets a little carried away. We named that particular syndrome after him. Someone else on here called it the "gamble and lose". He keeps spare underwear in his locker for just such an occasion. Man, what a hobby.

Hero or *******......I just can't decide!!!

2 Hours for me told the swmbo i was doing a scientific study:cross:But i decided to take it one step further and keep drinking my homebrews to see if it intensified :tank:

I work with a guy who has the unfortunate (and hilarious) disability of not being able to go more than two hours without assaulting the toilet. A few years ago at the company holiday party I couldn't figure out why he left so early with his wife. It took a while for the story to come out, but he "Gambled and Lost."

To have to start the stop watch every time you step out of the biffy. Two hours is a pretty short leash. No hikes in the woods, no long movies, no sex...wait, that doesn't take quite that long.

I thinks it's a myth. I don't get the toots from yeast. I always pour the entire bottle in the glass.

My dog on the other hand....:rolleyes:

Back