minerals?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottlebomber

Reaction score
Is anyone adding minerals such as gypsum or calcium carbonate as a standard practice? I brew with tap water, I have no idea of the analysis or anything, but the flavor is excellent where I live. However I know that tap water has been stripped of most of its minerals. Please advise

What makes you think tap was is stripped? My tap water is hard as a rock.

Don't do anything to it if it tastes good. If you want to get crazy technical you need to get a water analysis before you start screwing around.

Ok that makes sense... I had heard that the tap water is stripped, and compared to the well water from my home I moved from in the country is seems much softer. Probably better to leave it alone

Tap water is never stripped of minerals. I suppose it's possible SOMEWHERE, but I've never heard of it happening anywhere, and it seems too expensive and pointless to make such a thing even remotely likely.

The vast majority of the time, the problem is that the mineral content of tap water is TOO HIGH, to the point where many people instead choose to buy distilled or reverse osmosis water (which has no mineral content, aka demineralized), and either use it to dilute their tap water (lowering mineral concentrations) or by itself with NO tap water at all, which requires adding minerals manually.

I dilute my tap water with RO water to about 25% (1:3, tap:RO), and do use a small amount of (USUALLY) calcium chloride and/or gypsum. But if you don't know the mineral content of your tap water (especially if you're not diluting with demineralized water), then you're better off not messing with the water chemistry. It is far easier to make things worse with brewing salts, than it is to improve a beer. You really need to know what you're starting off with in order to make correct decisions about the type and amount of minerals to add.

Brewer's should not take someone else's standard practice and adopt it for their brewing unless they use the same water source. They might be using water with really low ion content and your water might have huge content. Adding the same mineral additions that the other brewer could leave you with very poor results and beer taste.

Try and find out about your water profile. If you can't get it from the water company, send a sample off to Ward Lab. Its cheap.

Back