Zeroing a RTD/PID combo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JVD_X

Reaction score
I just thought I would make a note to let everyone to verify their RTD/PID. My RTD from Auberins (PT100-L50NPT) reads between 10 and 5 degrees lower than it should. My RTD is located in output of my RIMS and I was sampling against the mash liquid as it was re-entering the mash tun.

I compared the RTD/PID against my NIST traceable Thermoworks thermocouple and my scientific thermometer (which previously had been calibrated against one-another and had no deviation).

My question to your guys is... do you know of a way to calibrate the PID so that it reads properly at the correct temperature? If Auberins PIDS cannot be "zeroed" is there a PID manufacturer that does allow such a function?

Look in the manual for the PSb setting, this is where you can compensate for reading offset with various sensors, 5 minutes and you should be good to go.

Watlow SD series can be calibrated. With my RTDs they have always been pretty close at 0 and 100C, so I've never bothered. 2, 3, or 4 wire?

Is the RTD still under warranty?

No... past the warranty.

Look in the manual for the PSb setting, this is where you can compensate for reading offset with various sensors, 5 minutes and you should be good to go.

Excellent - found it Kladue! It is called "input offset" for Auberins. I will set it next time I mash. Thanks very very much.

Watlow SD series can be calibrated. With my RTDs they have always been pretty close at 0 and 100C, so I've never bothered. 2, 3, or 4 wire?

Well - it is a two wire but it has four prongs on the connector.... very odd. I bought two others to measure my process in different areas but they came with a three prong so I can't use the same connector.

Back