First 5 Gallon. Extract w/ Specialty. Will my slow electrical range do the job?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aldricmeints

Reaction score
Hello All!

I am on my 4th brew. This will be the first I attempt a 5 gallon batch. Previously I have done small 1 gallon BIAB.
I just attempted heating 3 gallons of water to a boil in my new 8 gallon pot on my electric stove range... well... it took longer than an hour..
If it does take my wort an hour to reach boil after I have steeped my grains, how will this effect the brew?

My plan.

3 gallons. Add bag at 158F.

Steep 153F for 25 mins.
2lbs of flaked maize.
1lb pale 2 row
.25lb honey malt
.5lb minute rice

Boil:
Take off burner add in 3lbs Briess Golden Light DME bring back to boil
1oz Willamette pellets 60min
1oz Crystal pellets 60min
Whirfloc 5min

Add 2 gallons of bottled water to fermenter while wort cools in ice bath.
Add wort to fermenter.
Top off with Bottled water to achieve 5.5 gallons.
Aerate by rocking.
Pitch whole packet of SAFALE US-05.

Let it do its thing for 2 weeks or so. Rack to secondary. Bottle after 1-2 more weeks.

THanks for the help.

OK, 1st of all, all the grains but the honey malt will have to be mashed. Flaked corn & rice, especially the 2-row, a base malt, have to be mashed for an hour typically. 153F would be a good temp. Generally, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 quarts of water per pound of grain for mashing.

Would a biab mash be okay for the OG if it was a smaller volume than full and I added water later.

If by that you mean partial boil, partial mash, then yes. I do it that way with the same 5 gallon SS kettle I started with. With a total of 3.75 pounds of grain, you'd use 4.69 quarts to 5.63 quarts of water, or 1.18 to 1.41 gallons of water to mash in. Then, if you have another kettle, you can dunk sparge in about 1.3 to 1.1 gallons of water for 10 minutes. Add the sparge to the main wort for total boil volume, in this case about 2.5 gallons. When wort is chilled, I like to top off to recipe volume with spring water that's been chilling in the fridge a day or two before brew day.

Might be time to step up to a turkey frier burner. It will make your brew day easier and you will have the fun of drinking home brew beer in the yard while your neighbors look at you like you are crazy/ doing something nefarious. :tank:

If by that you mean partial boil, partial mash, then yes. I do it that way with the same 5 gallon SS kettle I started with. With a total of 3.75 pounds of grain, you'd use 4.69 quarts to 5.63 quarts of water, or 1.18 to 1.41 gallons of water to mash in. Then, if you have another kettle, you can dunk sparge in about 1.3 to 1.1 gallons of water for 10 minutes. Add the sparge to the main wort for total boil volume, in this case about 2.5 gallons. When wort is chilled, I like to top off to recipe volume with spring water that's been chilling in the fridge a day or two before brew day.

Hmmm

So help me understand as I have never done this.

I mash at 153 for 60 mins with my 3.75 pound grist in about 1.25 gallons. I have another pot with about 1.25 gallons also heated I take the bag out of the one and put it in the other for 10min then combine them.
Bring 2.5 gallons to a boil and add dme. Boil for 60min?

Skip the extract, go all grqin and the partial boil and mash all your grains in a bag and do a full wort boil.
Figure out what the highest volume you can boil and work back from that. You can speed up your boil time by getting a smaller 3 gallon cheap pot at walmart and boil 2 gallons on another burner while you get 3-4 gallons going in the big pot, when everything gets boiling , combine the two.

Like said above, just get a turkey fryer burner and go outside. I just picked one up for $10. Watch craigslist and if your area has an exchange site on facebook. Also there may be a local brewclub that has people that are selling equipment.

He's trying to work with what he has right now. That's what I'm helping him with. In answer to your last post, op, yes. Add about 2lbs of the DME to the boil for any hop additions, boiling for one our if you're doing a bittering addition. Chill in an ice bath in the sink down to about 75F. Whirlpool the gunk into the center of the kettle, & carefully pour the wort into the sanitized fermenter. The take the water that's been chilling in the fridge & top off to recipe volume, usually 5 gallons. Stir roughly with sanitized long spoon or paddle to mix wort & top off well, 3-5 minutes. Then take hydrometer sample & pitch yeast. Seal it up with a airlock filled with sanitizer or plain liquor...even a 5-/50 mix of both.

I recommend getting a propane burner and doing it outside. This also makes cleaning up any messes and boil overs.

As I mentioned in post #10, let's help him with what he has to work with now. He likely can't afford big kettles, burners & propane tanks atm...

Yes I probably wont be able to get a propane burner till next month as I just bought a 6.5 gallon fermenter and 8 gallon pot for my first 5 gallon batch. I already have the dme as well, otherwise I would consider all grain options. As I already have a 2.5 gallon pot from brewing 1 gallon batches, I think I will probably proceed using unionrdr's recommendation.

Back