Experimental "mead"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcobbs

Reaction score
I didn't even post anything about this until I could get it started and try a taste. It sounded like it could just as easily have turned into hooch as something to drink. But so far I've been pleasantly surprised. Down here in the South we have this stuff called "Golden Eagle Syrup," basically a blend of corn syrup, cane syrup, and honey. I don't know in what proportions, but honey is listed last. So I decided to try a Golden Eagle "mead" (using the term loosely here, for lack of a better one) just to see what might happen. I started with Joe's Ancient Orange Mead as a takeoff point, but very quickly drove that recipe off the nearest cliff, and this is what I have:

1 - 30oz jar Golden Eagle Syrup
1 - Gallon Crystal Geyser bottled water
1 - snack-size box Sunmaid raisins
1 - cup frozen blueberries
1-1/2 cups ruby red grapefruit juice
2 cloves
1 package Red Star rapid acting bread yeast

I poured half the water into a clean container, then added the syrup to the water bottle and shook like crazy. Rinsed the syrup jar with some of the water to get it all. Added the raisins and grapefruit juice and shook some more. I put the blueberries in a ziplock bag and mashed them some to release the juice, then dumped them in as well. (Do you get the idea I was working with what I had around the house?) Added 2 cloves, topped it off with water, and pitched the yeast. The airlock was bubbling within 30 minutes.

Now about 3 weeks later it is starting to clear. The color is beautiful--deep rich purple-red. Not knowing what to expect, I stuck in my thief and grabbed a taste. Pleasantly surprised! If it keeps going it's going to be a nice dry wine with a bit of citrus and some tartness from the blueberries. I'm going to treat it like a JAOM; just leave it be until it clears, then rack & bottle.

Of course it's not a real mead (don't really know what the heck it is), but at least it's not hooch, so I'm not embarrassed to put it on here :)

Next time I'm going to use the 40oz jar of Golden Eagle and go for a sweet mead. I want to make a key lime mead and I'm torn between doing a real mead with all honey or trying another one of these!

Interesting note--I've tasted both this one and my "real" JAOM variation I have going, and neither of them have a real "yeasty" flavor even though they use bread yeast. Could it be that bread yeast doesn't leave as much off flavor in meads as it does in regular wines?

I picked up a bag of key limes and a 40oz jar of Golden Eagle and decided to try a key lime version. It's bubbling away and looks nice. I think however, that I'm also going to get a 3lb jar of honey and do a "real" key lime mead based on JAOM. I really like key limes and I'd really like to be sure I get something nice--the Golden Eagle "mead" is just playing around even though so far it's exceeded my expectations. We cleaned out our freezer last week and I discovered we have a whole bunch of homegrown blueberries I didn't know were in there, so I may do a blueberry melomel. Anybody ever done blueberry/lime? :)

Damn jack!! Whats he got a patent on oranges ? ? lol! Yeah I wouldnt see why using syrup wouldnt turn out well, it should be good :)

Ive made a so called JAOM, just instead of using bread yeast, used lalvin ec-1118, and racked. Took a few months before it tasted well though, but now its golden :)

I'm glad Joe Mattoli doesn't have a patent or we'd all be paying; that recipe must be on about 20 different websites! There must be something to it, for sure. I'm hoping the Golden Eagle "mead" turns out well. I'm trying to figure out a name for it if it works. It doesn't have maple syrup in it so it's not an acerglyn. Golden Eagle is a Southern delicacy (made here in Alabama), so maybe a "bubbaglyn"? A Melomel Tillis? (Country music fans will get that one). :)

Update on the "Golden Eagle Meads"- I made a blueberry-citrus and a key lime. I transferred the blueberry to secondary and added another cup or so of berries--I have a friend who really likes my homegrown blueberries and I want to give them a bottle for the holidays, so I decided it needed a little more berry flavor. It's dry/semi-sweet with a nice bit of citrus tang. The key lime was started about 3 days later but is still going in primary. I used a 40oz jar of Golden Eagle for it, as I wanted some more sweetness to balance out the tartness of the limes. Haven't tasted it yet, but it smells delightful. Looking forward to their clearing and giving them a try!

Finally tried the key lime--it's got potential, but nothing like the blueberry. Probably going to need a good long aging and backsweetening as well. Chalk this one up to already having one gallon ready for Christmas 2010! However, I think I will have another go at it, only this time with all honey, and make a JAOM with key limes instead of oranges.

Back