1st All Grain session

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomtom

Reaction score
Had my first all grain brew day yesterday. I made Ed Worts' Haus Pale Ale with a small twist. I substituted the 1/2 lb of 10L Malt for 1/4 lb. of Honey Malt & 1/4 lb. of 60L Malt. I found out after I made the switch that I actually had some 15L Malt but what the heck. I also substituded the last oz. of Cascade Hops for an oz. of EKG. Should be interesting. I am keeping it cool in a 70qt. Igloo Cube with a water bath and bottles of ice. I pitched the dry Nottingham yeasties and they started kicking after three hours; they're going gangbusters right now.

The whole experience was fun but it was very drawn out, seemed like it took forever to complete. I discovered that I need a burner that will throw out more BTU's, took forever to get my kettle boiling. I did manage to scald ma belly with about a quart of 170 degree water too. I put an ice pack on it for 15 minutes and then smeared some Boudreaux's Butt Paste on it and all the redness and sting went away by bedtime. All in all it was a very fun brew day and good to be outdoors; especially after dealing with tropical Storm Fay for a full week.

Sounds great except for the burn! How long did it actually take?? I'm going to be doing the Haus Pale Ale as my first AG hopefully in 2 weeks. I'm awaiting some new gear (10 gal pot, wort chiller, etc). I also need to get a propane burner. How was brewing outside? I'm on the west coast of FL and it's torture being outside this time of year!

Congrats on the first AG and don't sweat the substitutions, the beer will turn out fine. Next time take some pics and share them.

After I had all my wort in my keggle it took about 30-40 minutes to come to a boil. It was hot out, but I brewed under my car port in the shade. I rolled my flats boat out onto the driveway so I'd have some room. I'll take some pic's next time.

Back