3 Tier Systems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okbrewman

Reaction score
Ok- I keep seeing pics and talk of the "3 tier brewing system" and it looks like something I may want to build. I am currently brewing my first batch right now(bottling tommorrow--:rockin: ) and am using the bucket system.

So--a couple questions I have about brewing-

1. Is the teir system more for making wort? or fermentation? or is it set-up to brew start to finish?

2. How do the buckets compare to the 3 tier system?

3. why should I rack when I can just use the spigot at the bottom of the bucket? First bucket has spigot about 3.5 inches from bottom, second bucket about 1.5 inches from bottom.

4. How hard would it be to brew a beer similar to shiner bock?

Thx to any responses --I know most of these have probably been gone thru 100s of times but after reading thru the searches I found I figured I would ask my exact concerns. :mug:

1) 3-tier is used in all grain brewing
2)Do you mean fermentation buckets? because that is something totally different.
3)Alot of people dont like to use the spigots because they may allow excess yeast cake in, but if you have one that is 3.5 inches from the bottom you might be ok. Also you want to make sure not to introduce too much oxygen into your beer by allowing it to splash around which is likely to happen with a spigot.
4)Never made it, can't tell you.

Parker36 said:
1) 3-tier is used in all grain brewing
2)Do you mean fermentation buckets? because that is something totally different.
3)Alot of people dont like to use the spigots because they may allow excess yeast cake in, but if you have one that is 3.5 inches from the bottom you might be ok. Also you want to make sure not to introduce too much oxygen into your beer by allowing it to splash around which is likely to happen with a spigot.
4)Never made it, can't tell you.

I have the fermentation buckets. I guess I need to read up on the all grain brewing a bit more, but i assume its for wort or a kegging system

and what do you mean by the buckets is something totally different?

tyty

The three tier systems are for making and boiling wort. Buckets (and carboys) are for fermenting.

Chris

I just glanced over the online book and understand the difference now--I think ill stick with the premade malt for a few batches before I get into all grain---thx

okbrewman said:
1. Is the teir system more for making wort? or fermentation? or is it set-up to brew start to finish?

2. How do the buckets compare to the 3 tier system?

3. why should I rack when I can just use the spigot at the bottom of the bucket? First bucket has spigot about 3.5 inches from bottom, second bucket about 1.5 inches from bottom.

4. How hard would it be to brew a beer similar to shiner bock?

Thx to any responses --I know most of these have probably been gone thru 100s of times but after reading thru the searches I found I figured I would ask my exact concerns. :mug:

1. It's for making wort from all grains. The top tier is to heat/hold hot water, the second tier for mashing/lautering, the last tier collects the wort runoff. Once you have the wort in the bottom tier, you proceed just as you would with extract brewing (i.e. boiling, adding hops, cooling, pitching yeast).

2. Do you mean buckets for mashing or for fermentation. As I said, the 3 tier system is entirely for the making of wort and has nothing to do with fermentation

3. Sure you can do that, the problem is maintaining sanitation. If you're doing the fermentation in the bucket with the spigot, it will be difficult to sanitize the spigot while the beer is in the bucket.

4. Shiner bock is a great beer. It's a lager though, so you'll need some way of controling fermentation temps around 45F, and lagering at ~32F.

reshp1 said:
1. It's for making wort from all grains. The top tier is to heat/hold hot water, the second tier for mashing/lautering, the last tier collects the wort runoff. Once you have the wort in the bottom tier, you proceed just as you would with extract brewing (i.e. boiling, adding hops, cooling, pitching yeast).

2. Do you mean buckets for mashing or for fermentation. As I said, the 3 tier system is entirely for the making of wort and has nothing to do with fermentation

3. Sure you can do that, the problem is maintaining sanitation. If you're doing the fermentation in the bucket with the spigot, it will be difficult to sanitize the spigot while the beer is in the bucket.

4. Shiner bock is a great beer. It's a lager though, so you'll need some way of controling fermentation temps around 45F, and lagering at ~32F.

Thx for very informative response and yea the buckets are for fermentation. I see the light now :D ---How many batches of premade malt do you think I should do before i jump into the wort/mashing/lautering arena?

okbrewman said:
Thx for very informative response and yea the buckets are for fermentation. I see the light now :D ---How many batches of premade malt do you think I should do before i jump into the wort/mashing/lautering arena?

It all depends on how comfortable you are. I've been brewing 6 months, have 12 (I think........I've actually lost count) batches under my belt, and ingredients on order for my next 3 batches. I'm just now considering the idea of going all grain, but I doubt I will for at least a few more months. But there are some who never do extract, they start out doing all grain. And some who only do one or two batches of extract, then decide to go all grain.

Ooompa Loompa said:
It all depends on how comfortable you are. I've been brewing 6 months, have 12 (I think........I've actually lost count) batches under my belt, and ingredients on order for my next 3 batches. I'm just now considering the idea of going all grain, but I doubt I will for at least a few more months. But there are some who never do extract, they start out doing all grain. And some who only do one or two batches of extract, then decide to go all grain.

Im only on my first batch, but being a beer lover and a guy who likes to tinker and learn new things--I think the more I learn about this, the more I think the all grain method would be cool to do. What site you order your ingredients from btw?

okbrewman said:
Im only on my first batch, but being a beer lover and a guy who likes to tinker and learn new things--I think the more I learn about this, the more I think the all grain method would be cool to do. What site you order your ingredients from btw?

I normally just buy from my LHBS (local homebrew store), but I needed some things that they didn't carry this time around, so I bought from morebeer.com. Other more popular sites to buy from are northernbrewer.com, austinhomebrew.com, and midwestsupplies.com.

Ooompa Loompa said:
I normally just buy from my LHBS (local homebrew store), but I needed some things that they didn't carry this time around, so I bought from morebeer.com. Other more popular sites to buy from are northernbrewer.com, austinhomebrew.com, and midwestsupplies.com.

cool,cool Ill have to check them badboys out

Back