Batch #26: 13C Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkpq45

Reaction score
Hello All! Time for the next experiment:

BJCP 13C Oatmeal Stout
10 lbs Maris Otter Pale
2 lbs flaked oats
0.75 lbs black patent
0.25 lbs chocolate malt

0.75 oz Northern Brewer (8.9% AA) pellets @ 60 minutes
0.5 oz Tettnanger (3.2% AA) pellets @ 30 minutes
0.5 oz Tettnanger (3.2% AA) pellets @ 0 minutes

Safale US-05 Yeast

5.5 gal batch size
1.065 OG
1.016 est. FG
6.3% est. ABV
27 IBU
27*SRM est. color

I'll cereal mash the oatmeal, throw it in between 155*F and 160*F (want this one to be chewy). 60 minute mash, cooldown and pitch in time for drinking on the last stout I made. Maltodextrin or lactose may be added if FG is too far off (again, want this to be sweet and chewy).

Comments?

Drop the black patent and sub in roasted barley. That much black patent runs the risk of tasting ashy and acrid.

Late addition Tett seems incredibly out of place; personally, I would drop those as well and stick with a single bittering charge. If you must use an aroma hop, EKG is exceptional in stout.

+1,429.

Stout isn't Stout without roasted barley.

If you insist on late hops, Tettnang is fine if you don't want to go out and buy more hops. I don't think they're necessary, either; I like the flavors in Stout to come from roasted grains, not hops.

But it's your beer! :mug:

Bob

The first time I made a similar recipe I had 1/2# malto dextrine. The second time I used a higher mash temp and dropped the malto dextrine. The beer came out much better the 2nd time.

I would think with 2# oats & malto dextrine it could just be a little too much.

So, do I need to buy "roasted barley" or is a home-roasted pile of MO going to do the trick? I wonder what color I'd end up with if I kept the chocolate malt but used my roasted MO.

I'll consider dropping the aroma hops. Good advice all around!

Latest posts

Back