First stab at cider!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christer

Reaction score
So I took the plunge today and am venturing into other fermentables... Went to a local orchard and picked up 10 gallons of fresh pressed cider (no preservatives or pasturizing). Because I enjoy a bit of a kick in my beverages I added an extra three pounds of dextrose and then split into two carboys. I pitched different yeast in each batch, one with red star montrachet and one with red star cote des blancs. Keeping my fingers crossed! Planning on force carbing in eight weeks or so.

Well, we have very active fermentation, the montrachet especially! Had to hook up a blowoff tube last night, the cote du blancs was pretty active as well but hadn't foamed up into the airlock. Think that I may do lots of fun secondaries with these batches... Keep 2 gals of each just cider and then maybe do 1 gal of each with blueberries, raspberries and maybe ginger...

I thought about silvermans, blue jay in bethel adds a preservative. But then found salingers. $4.99 a gallon.

Back