Belgian Tripel Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcworks2

Reaction score
Last Friday (Feb 3) I brewed a Belgian Tripel. I put it in the primary fermenter, but I only pitched one packet of Wyeast 3787. I have been doing some reading since then, and it seems I should have used more than packet. Is this true? If so, is it too late to pitch another packet into the primary fermenter? Thanks in advance.

All ways do a starter with liquid yeast.

Keep an eye on the gravity.
Have you checked the gravity?
Where is it at? What are you expecting your FG to be?
Do a gravity reading over the next couple of days if there the same and higher then what your FG should be, You may need to pitch more yeast.

All ways do a starter with liquid yeast.

Keep an eye on the gravity.
Have you checked the gravity?
Where is it at? What are you expecting your FG to be?
Do a gravity reading over the next couple of days if there the same and higher then what your FG should be, You may need to pitch more yeast.

Not to hijack this thread, but if you should always do a starter with liquid yeast, why does Mr.Malty even give the option of using liquid yeast without a starter? I use the Wyeast smack packs and now I'm concerned that these won't work per your recommendation?

JeffoC6 said:
Not to hijack this thread, but if you should always do a starter with liquid yeast, why does Mr.Malty even give the option of using liquid yeast without a starter? I use the Wyeast smack packs and now I'm concerned that these won't work per your recommendation?

You want to make sure you pitch enough yeast. Assuming you're making 5 gallons of beer that is over 1.040 starting gravity, this means either pitching multiple vials/packs or making a starter. If you don't make a starter you should be using multiple smack packs.

With smaller beers one vial or pack of liquid yeast may be enough, assuming the yeast isn't too old.

This is the second time I have brewed and I ashamed to met admit I forgot to take an OG reading before I pitched my yeast. I used the Brewer's Best Belgian Tripel kit. It has an estimated OG of 1.083-1.086 with a final FG of 1.017-1.020.

Is too much yeast a problem? If I were to pitch another packet of Wyeast and didn't actually need it, would it effect the final flavor or have any other adverse effects?

First off, welcome to the thread OP.

A tripel has a high enough gravity, that I would recommend always using a starter. If you're doing a lower gravity beer, you really don't need to use a starter. Also, with Belgian yeasts, you will want to try and keep them in the upper fermentation temps. They tend to get a little sluggish, and having a higher gravity will make the fermentation even longer. It's good to have a little yeast energizer, etc on hand with your starter. If your gravity is slowly decreasing right now, just give it more time. It'll take a while.

Thanks!

So if I'm reading this right, it will just take longer to finish fermenting with a lower yeast count will just cause the process to take longer and won't have any adverse effects on the final beer?

Too late to pitch some more yeast straight. You would need to make a starter (small beer) to multiply the cells before adding now. The yeast in the pack will not reproduce since there is no more oxygen.

Assuming you aerated well, you should be OK. You will need to get the temperature up in the mid 70s at the end to get full attenuation.

So if I'm reading this right, it will just take longer to finish fermenting with a lower yeast count will just cause the process to take longer and won't have any adverse effects on the final beer?

Lower yeast count can (but not always) result in:

- More esters
- More fusel alcohols
- Stuck/stalled fermentation
- High FG

No the end is the end of active fermentation. Generally with Beligans its good to start fermenation low in the yeast range (say 2 days). Then gradually ramp them up. A beer like that will likely finish active fermentation in 7-11 days (bubbles, gravity dropping, etc). Towards the end of that you want to be low-mid 70's.

A beer that big, I would primary for 3-4 weeks and then consider secondary. You'll be waiting anyway for it to get tasty (3-6 months).

For next time I would do a 3-4 qt starter for a 1.070+ Tripel. But I think you'll be fine with this one if you give it some time.

for my belgians, i prefer 2 vials of white labs belgian ale yeast strain. no started needed, but if i feel like being cheaper and using 1, i make a starter. ferment @ 68-72F.

Back