Willamette in Hefeweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gruversm

Reaction score
Will I be committing a Cardinal sin by using Willamette hops in my next batch of Hefeweizen? For a 5-gallon batch what would be the correct ratios to use?

We wouldn't know unless you gave us the AA's for your hefe recipe and the aa's of the wilamettes.

Wilammettes are a fuggle variety, less suited to Hefe than a Hallertau variety such as Mt. Hood. No, it's not a sin since they're both low-cohumulone, but Mt. Hoods would be better.

The only sin in homebrewing is poor sanitation.
Hefes get a lot of their flavor from the wheat and yeast.
And the IBU's are on the low side.
The favorite hop seems to be Hallertau, which is spicy.
I've substituted Mt Hood successfully.
I love Williamette, too.
But it's floral, not spicy.
No reason not to try and let us know how it turns out!

Yeah, hefe's really dont have a flavor/aroma addition unless you want to put one in there. a 60 min boil will leach pretty much all flavor of the hops out leaving just bitterness.

Yep I used williamette in a Hefe and it was fine.

Are you asking because you can't get noble hops? If that is the case then Liberty is a close match and my last batch was made that way and quite good.

If you are just experimenting then Willamette are in the same AA range, so the ratio would be similar. Widmer uses Willamette in their hefe along w/ some others and it is quite good.

Back