question on IPA recipe involving flame out hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpz28

Reaction score
So the last beer I brewed (IPA) told me to add 1oz Northern Brewers at 45 minutes. Then the rest of the hops (3 oz of Amarillos) at flame out. I just wonder is this beer going to lack taste since only 1oz of hops went to flavoring and the other 3 oz went in for aroma? I mean it's an IPA is supposed to be bitter and hoppy.

1oz @ 45 and 3oz at flame out will impart a good bit of hop aroma and flavor. If you search "hop bursting" on the various forums, you will see more info on the practice of using only late kettle additions.

There is not absolutes as far as hops bitterness, flavor and aroma. 60min additions will provide some flavor and aroma especially in large amounts. And flameout additions will add a small amount of bitterness and plenty of flavor. Plus remember that one of the biggest components of taste is smell.
3oz of hops at flameout will provide a wonderful aroma and hops flavor. Splitting the hops addition into several additions between 15min and flameout may increase the complexity of the beer but will probably not be a huge difference. Consider using the recipe for your first time and then if you like experiment with different additions the next time.
Craig

that beer will be outstanding! You could even take one of the three ounces for flame out and add it at 8-4 min out from boil end. This may add alittle more flavor but its fine as is.

Latest posts

Back