mini mash for a starter also pitch rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I made a 2 gallon cooler into a mash tun and Im thinking about making a starter with it. Im thinking the grainbill will be 3lbs 2row .5lbs crystal malt.

also I am using washed yeast that I collected for my previous primary. I used mr.malty and and I need about 200ml to pitch to the primary how much yeast should I use with the starter?

would the beer taste that bad? Im sure that it will be over pitched but I built my mini mash tun to make small batches and I dont have the gallon jugs yet.
I got the idea from a couple of other threads. Im going to use my primary for the starter and pour off the beer into a couple of growler secondaries and may be more racking as needed. I guess my over all reasoning behind this is I like to make things difficult for my self and I have the time.

I think he's just saying that it's a waste to do a mash just for a starter. Just use DME.

Right, 60-90 minutes of work just to propagate some yeast.

Now, if you had extra wort left over from a PM or an AG batch, I can see using that as starter wort.
but mashing for the sake of starter wort...just get some extra light DME and call it a day.

killian said:
would the beer taste that bad? Im sure that it will be over pitched but I built my mini mash tun to make small batches and I dont have the gallon jugs yet.
I got the idea from a couple of other threads. Im going to use my primary for the starter and pour off the beer into a couple of growler secondaries and may be more racking as needed. I guess my over all reasoning behind this is I like to make things difficult for my self and I have the time.

Are you saying you want to ferment out then carb and drink the starter wort? If so, you're talking about making a small batch and would need hops and a boil and everything, not a starter which is used solely for propagating yeast. I guess I am just not clear about what it is you are intending to do.

Personally, there is no way I would go to all the trouble of mashing grains just to make a starter.

You could, but then it wouldn't really be a starter now would it? :D

In all seriousness, I didn't realize when you first posted that you were planning on drinking it, I thought you were going to mash grains, use it as a starter, then pitch it. If you're going to drink it and want to go through the more involved process, more power to ya!

TheJadedDog said:
You could, but then it wouldn't really be a starter now would it? :D

In all seriousness, I didn't realize when you first posted that you were planning on drinking it, I thought you were going to mash grains, use it as a starter, then pitch it.

this is exactly what I thought he meant too. :tank:

Latest posts

Back