Thar she blows!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DraconianHand

nudge, nudge, wink, wink
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After popping the top on three fermenters, I finally decided to use a blowoff tube on anything over 1.065. Yes, I can be a bit thickheaded at times (at least three times).

So, Sunday, I decided to try making an Abbey Stout...an imperial stout utilizing WL Abbey Yeast. The original gravity was 1.102.

I set up the blowoff tube and ran it into a 1/2 gallon jug of 3/4 full of sanitizer. The fermenter went into the coat closet (73F) and I went to bed.

This morning I heard splashing coming from the coat closet and found the (now brown) liquid in the jug "boiling". The fermentation was so vigorous the CO2 wasn't bubbling from the hose, but pouring from it (like if you blew extremely hard on the other end of the hose). The santizer was so agitated, it was splashing out of the jug.

I cleaned everything up and replaced the 3/4 full jug with a 1/2 full jug and went to work.

When I got home, I found that although the fermentation had subsided a bit, it had still been vigorous enough to create another huge mess. I have replaced the jug, yet again, and it is still bubbling away at about 3-5 bubbles a second.

Sorry that I don't have any photos. I took a couple, but couldn't get them off my new camera and accidently erased them. I guess it is time to consider a larger blow off tube for really big beers.

What size tube do you use for you blow off? I made my first starter, 1.5L, for a Kolsch for a 6 gallon batch. And after it blow my airlock I tried to drill out a stopper (without any luck) to fit a tube in it, which I just ended up forcing in. But that was sorta clogging to. So how big of a tube and any suggestions for drilling a hole in a stopper?

I would use at least 1/2" tube and the larger the better. Try drilling a stopper with a hole saw although you will need some way to hold it while drilling.

I got like 1.5" blow off tube. It fits perfectly into the fermentor and is air tight.

Got it at Lowes...

Raffie said:
I got like 1.5" blow off tube. It fits perfectly into the fermentor and is air tight.

Got it at Lowes...

I use 1 1/4" OD, 1" ID tubing and it is a very tight fit. I don't think I could push in or pull out a 1.5" tubing.

Why I said LIKE. hehe could not remember what size it was exactly but works great.

Back