Scorched Grain Particulate in Direct Fire MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyB029

Reaction score
So I took a risk and tired up the heat to get to Mash Out temp and briefly left the room. When I returned I opened the lid to my MLT to smell for scorching and holy cow... I successfully scorched the particulate on the bottom everywhere except the the area under the dip tube (where it was picking up wort for recirculating).

I tasted a sample of the wort (super light Belgian wit btw) and for sure tasted it. Pissed off at myself and worried I finished and the brew day.

My question is... Am I totally screwed or has a similar thing happened to one of you and the scorched taste tapered off throughout fermentation/aging?

Thanks..

That flavor will stick through any aging. You could always try to pass it off as a smoked wit. :)

I did something similar and fermented it simply because I didn't have much more to lose. It was the only batch I have ever tossed.

Back